Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

How are the XTRR necks finished, or are they. I saw a pic and it looked raw, maybe i will scuff my soloist and seek myself an XTRR to add to the collection. How hard are the reverse headstock one to find because i have seen both.
    This space for rent

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      How are the XTRR necks finished, or are they. I saw a pic and it looked raw, maybe i will scuff my soloist and seek myself an XTRR to add to the collection. How hard are the reverse headstock one to find because i have seen both.

[/ QUOTE ]
      XTRRs only come with the reverse headstock, but they are still hard to find. Some of them have painted necks though, although I think most of them come with oiled ones.

Comment

I love hard finish on a maple neck, oiled feels a little too naked for my tastes.. I'd agree with what a lot of others have said: try scuffing first, and if that isn't enough, go for oil, but if you do it yourself make sure you know what you're doing, it's too nice a guitar to screw up!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Neither : sand through the finish and leave the neck raw (but sanded and polished up to 0000 steel wool).. Feels even better than oiled IMO [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Lemon oil, however, will give you the same slippery film, is widely used on guitars, and can be buffed off If you ever need to.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Umm, I hate to break it to you, but lemon oil will not give you the same slippery film. Lemon oil is a great cleaner and conditioner, but it's not a sealer.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only problem with oiled necks is that they sometimes can be more susceptable to humidity changes and can be more prone to neck adjustments and possibly twisting. Also, the neck tends to wear faster when it is raw wood vs. a hard finish.

I do dig the feel of a oiled neck tough, even with the drawbacks.

The only finish that really bugs me is over-plasticized nitro lacquer like on newer Gibsons, those damn things get so gunky and gummy feeling no matter what you do or what you clean them with.

Comment

Peavey has the right equation, they put the graphite rods in their oil finished wolfgangs for better stability. My Wolfgang standard neck NEVER needed a truss tweak, and felt oh so sweet.

To this day I dream of a neck like that on a 24 fret soloist neck thru!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Peavey has the right equation, they put the graphite rods in their oil finished wolfgangs for better stability. My Wolfgang standard neck NEVER needed a truss tweak, and felt oh so sweet.

To this day I dream of a neck like that on a 24 fret soloist neck thru!

[/ QUOTE ]

The Custom shop will put in graphite rods for 240$ (list) if memory serves [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X