Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

It is kind of wierd how paint can affect the playability, but I just really like unfinished necks like that on my '87 BC Rich ST-III. I have no complaints with my jackson, just that i think every little bit helps with my speed.
    This space for rent

Comment

Sell the soloist get a guitar with a oiled neck! Haven't we learned from all the detroyed Gibson & fender guitars that someone thought would be better if they stripped the finish ect.

Comment

Neither : sand through the finish and leave the neck raw (but sanded and polished up to 0000 steel wool).. Feels even better than oiled IMO [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

THat´s just me, though... in this situation, scuffing with the Scotchbrite or Steel wool will get you an idea of whether you like it at all... but either way have a pro do it, there I have to agree [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

just sand with 400-600 grit and it will smooth it out.

I can't stand the high clossy neck finish either. I just scuff the clear and it feels way better to me. Plus if you wany it back to normal you can just progressive sand to 1500 and buff that sumbitch. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have a 2001 SL2H and I don't see what the big deal is. I switch back and forth between that and my GMW (which has a raw maple neck that I gunstock oiled, talk about fast!)
            all the time and I don't even notice the neck on the soloist being painted. doesn't slow me down a bit.
            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I have scuffed 2 soloists with excellent results. For the record, the fastest guitar playing I have ever seen has been on a painted neck (Shawn Lane on his Charvel 750xl)

Scotch Brite worked great.

Comment

Try the scuffing first...but I have 2 guitars w/painted necks and they don't bother me at all. I don't even notice them compared to my other 3..to each thier own I guess. Good luck, no matter what you do.

Comment

its not the paint, its the clearcoat fellas [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My polka dot is a painted neck thru but it has the clear sanded just enough to take the suprer gloss look off it, not even close to the paint
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Scuff it first. I have painted necks in gloss, satin and oiled necks. All have different widths and shapes. It makes no difference to me, but I'm far from the ultimate shredder. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Also, use masking tape to cover the areas that you don't want scuffed, like the heel and headstock areas.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Wax your neck with lemon pledge. This works good for me. It cleans the grit off and leaves a nice slippery feel to it.

Comment

In the right temperature and humidity, your guitar neck won't feel sticky.

Keep in mind if you decide to sand the neck down, oiled necks are slightly more vulnerable to warpage and rotting from humidity and temperature, as well as cracking from dryness.

Comment

I live in Oklahoma, we have humidity and that i think is the prob, but i am gonna scuff it up and solve it hopefully.
                          This space for rent

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Wax your neck with lemon pledge. This works good for me. It cleans the grit off and leaves a nice slippery feel to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As well as a silicone film that can cause HUGE problems with any possible future repairs (glue doesn´t stick to silicone).

Lemon Pledge and Armor all are the only 2 products that I specifically hate and "disreccomend" for exactly this reason.... gotta love a lifting fretboard on a neck that was regularly "pledged"... building a new neck would have been faster and easier [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Lemon oil, however, will give you the same slippery film, is widely used on guitars, and can be buffed off If you ever need to.

Comment

Just use a mild brand, like dunlp, and use it in moderation.

Comment

Working...
                                X