Which glue for broken neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which glue for broken neck?

I will add one thing (for what it's worth). The advantage of the yellow wood glue is that it penetrates the wood fibres, and if used properly will literally turn two pieces of wood into one. A common problem with this glue is when the two pieces of wood have old glue residue (or other "sealers")which prevents the new glue from penetrating the fibres of the wood. Wood glue is not a surface adhesive, it is a bonding agent which relies on its penetration of the two surfaces being bonded. I do suppose that if the two pieces of wood being bonded were sealed (old glue, finish, etc.) then epoxy may hold better. But...not for long. In other words, epoxy glues are better for non-porous surfaces. For porous surfaces.............well, you get the picture.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'll add another quirk to using wood glues. If the wood is really dry, it will suck out the moisture out of the glue before it gets a chance to set/dry and will not form a good bond. When my headstock on my Model 5 cracked, I thought of doing it myself, but the luthier I lived near at the time said to start by using a wet paper towel to lightly wet the wood with a few drops and let the glue "wick through" to the other side, or something like that. Since that seemed like a pain, plus I didn't have any clamps that conformed to a pointy headstock, I just payed him the $25 to do it. It held like a champ using titebond.

I have used naptha to clean out residue from a poorly used adhesive. This was a break thru the corner of the headstock of a Model 4 neck, through the tuner hole of the low E string...a common break for these headstocks. After cleaning the inferior used glue from both sides, I used titebond and a shitload of rubber bands to secure the corner while drying. I still don't have a clamp for these weird angles so bands were all I had. I wasn't sure if it would hold, but it actually did and still does...to my astonishment!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I don't know how yours is broke exactly Carbuff, but, some other tricks to add strength it to use dowels and butterflies to add strength the repair. It is pretty much up to how it is broke and sometimes, your own preference.

A dowel is great as it adds internal strength and is the easiest to do, but, a butterfly joint, if the break permits and you use some imagination, can be used to make it look like less of a repair and more like it is a artsy type of deal.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Doh!, I actually forgot until reading Lou's post, that I also used 2 dowels when placing that piece back on to add some strength. One was going straight down in the direction of the tuning post, connecting both pieces, and the other was perpendicular in the face of the headstock right were the tuner post screw went, where it looks like the crack originated.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Just a question... sorry to steal the thread, but can wood glue wear off or expoxy wear off?

I always get that feeling that my Les Paul will just fall apart one day. I think the glue there is over 10 years old.

Comment

I've used wood glue with success. First I remove the loose wood fibers and make sure the crack will come back together dry before glue. I spread the crack as much as I can, then shoot glue in the crack and use compressed air to get it in the break as far as I can, then I clamp it up and clean up the squeeze out.

I did try Gorilla glue once on a head break and that also worked fine, but was far messier to clean up.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Just a question... sorry to steal the thread, but can wood glue wear off or expoxy wear off?

I always get that feeling that my Les Paul will just fall apart one day. I think the glue there is over 10 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Old glues will flat disappear one day. Look at all those $40,000 to $80,000 Les Pauls out there that are so fragile nobody can touch them. Don't even look at it!
                Your Les Paul will surely fall apart cause it's old. You probably better sell it to Toddstaples while you can, 'cause next Sunday it's gonna disintregate. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                  X