No announcement yet.

Top Mount Kahler question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Mount Kahler question?? UPDATE!!

I've used Kahlers practically sice they came out, and I've never had any tuning issues with them when they are working properly.
    Just have to do a few things that I learned over the years:
    Keep 'em clean and lubed.
    Replace the springs occasionally (they stretch over time).
    Make sure the lock nut isn't grooved.

They aren't any worse than a Floyd, just different. Both have their pros and cons. (I've owned and fixed plenty of both to know!)

Comment

After a few hours of jamming and wanking on this Kahler I don't see any cons.
      Well... maybe 1.. its a pain in the ass to change the strings. Keeping the ball end of the string in the Kahler while you tighten the tuner is a pain in the ass. I stuck a screwdriver in the slot to hold the ball end in and that seemed to work ok. Besides that... I am digging it bigtime.

Comment

Even though I do like the units a lot, here are a few cons from my POV:

If the break angle over the rollers is not sufficient enough, there can be sustain problems. Not a big deal with bolt ons, you can just shim the neck.

The little screws sometimes get rusty and gunked up and are difficult to adjust or even remove from years of neglect from previous owners who never maintained the units. I think stainless steel screws and allen adjusters would be a major improvement in this area. Someone please tell Kahler! LOL

The string anchors are weak and sometimes break, keeping an extra 2 or three on hand is advisable.

The springs are not as durable as I would like, they seem to lose tension after a while. I guess it is asking a lot for two little springs to hold up for a long time.

Comment

I think from a tone perspective, wouldn't the Kahler have an advantage? Being a big mass of metal screwed into the top of the body and all....

Comment

The thing I am most impressed with is the stability when doing a double stop bend. It reacts like a Hipshot Tremsetter installed on a Floyded guitar. I do alot of double stop bends while I am pulling up or diving down and with all of my Floyded guitars I get pretty major string detuning while bending up right before I whammy down unless I put 4 springs on the Floyd. The problem with that is I like the way the Floyd feels with 10g light strings tuned 1/2 step down with 3 springs. The top mount Kahler seems to address my minor issues with the Floyd. I won't say its as good as an Ibanez Low Pro but its darn close.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              its a pain in the ass to change the strings. Keeping the ball end of the string in the Kahler while you tighten the tuner is a pain in the ass. I stuck a screwdriver in the slot to hold the ball end in and that seemed to work ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put the ball end in the claw, crank the finer tuner all the way down to the bottom. The ball end won't pop out now, because the tuner knob is in the way. Also, notice where the string goes over the came, and put a slight bend in it before installing. Some people have problems with ball ends snapping on their prefered brand, so tinning the windings at the ball end helps immensely.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I think from a tone perspective, wouldn't the Kahler have an advantage? Being a big mass of metal screwed into the top of the body and all....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. Here is something to do if you get a chance: Go try one of the old Charvel Model (4,5,6) series with a Kahler, and try an identical JT6 version. The Kahler ones usually have a much beefier tone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Yes, exactly. Here is something to do if you get a chance: Go try one of the old Charvel Model (4,5,6) series with a Kahler, and try an identical JT6 version. The Kahler ones usually have a much beefier tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what a large chunk of brass bolted to the top of your guitar will do for you. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

In all fairness, non-recess mounted Floyds sound good, too, when you crank them down to the top.

Comment

I really like it. I have only had 3 or 4 guitars with Kahlers on them and I have never been that impressed. Now that I know how to set the Kahler up correctly I am VERY impressed. Its really smooth.

Comment

Working...
                    X