Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kahler to Floyd Mod

[ QUOTE ]
    I've done one that was a hardtail 70's Strat that someone Kahlered, and I decided I wanted to put an original style fulcrum trem in it since it was modded already. Not a job for for the novice, it is fairly involved and to be honest it probably will cost a fairly large sum of money if you have a pro luthier do the work! Since I fix my own guitars, and the body had to be refinished anyways because of a previous poor refin, here's what I did (very abbreviated version):
    First, you have to fill the kahler route, which is easier said than done. I made a block that fit the route tightly, and glued it it.
    Then, I routed a strip out down the center of the guitar and fit a piece of wood there, so there will be no tell-tale Kahler 'sink hole'.
    Then I had to determine exactly where the new bridge needed to be. I then routed the hole thru the guitar where the trem block goes with a special routing jig and bearing bit. Once I had that done, it is easy to line up the back route for the springs. Once again I used a special routing jig and bearing bit and routed that out.
    Once I had the routing all done, I fitted the new bridge and spring claw.
    Once it was all done, I prepped the body for the refin and shipped it off to Lee Garver. When I got it back, this is what it looked like:

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn nice work!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Many collectors,myself included,would hate to see a San Dimas Charvel modded from original therefore,most likely would not offer help or info to mod one,so the question is often asked,offense was not intended imo!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand Chuck. A selection of different words and I wouldnt have come back like I did. A simple explanation like yours and I would have been content. I realize that quite a few people hate to see guitars "hacked" (I'm like that with vintage Marshalls) and such and thats totally understandable. But as I have also read here and other places, "Charvels are/were a custom made guitar and meant to be hot rodded". I have decided to keep the guitar as is and may just sell it in the near future.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            ...I have decided to keep the guitar as is and may just sell it in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]
            thats cool
            i'm just looking for another kahlered one
            lemme know

Comment

Working...
            X