Bridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridges

I'll probably get a new Dean V79 and I'll likely upgrade the bridge for something like a tone pro or schaller ... these are the 2 I know of, I don't know what are the better models ... and I was waondering if you need the part on the right

http://www.tonepros.com/Bridge&TailpieceWithPaths.jpg

because I don't know if it would fit one a V like this

http://hangmester.hu/gitar/dean/electric/v79.jpg

Re: Bridges

I thought all 79s had v-plates instead of stopbars?

Get the Schaller. TonePros' "philosophy" is that the bridge somehow wiggles or otherwise doesn't make good transference with the body because of the post/hole setup (how this is possible under the pressure of a full set of strings is beyond me, but they're the ones with printed certificates, not me).

Never mind they're manufactured by Gotoh, and are basically pot metal.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

on schaller's website there's 5 or 6 models ... do you have an idea of which is better ?

Comment

What the fuck is a "tone screw"?
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It locks the bridge to the post, and I think they're worth every penny just for the fact you can remove the strings from the guitar and the parts don't fall off, screwing up your set-up. I love 'em.

BTW, please define "pot-metal" to me and show me proof the Tone Pros stuff is made of this mystery metal? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never taken all the strings off a tunomatic-bridged guitar before, so I've never understood WHY the damn bridge fell off those guitars. Even Emthrax was telling me about how her bridge fell off once, much to her horror. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I look at my Les Paul Custom's bridge and see a large screw on each end going into the body wood. Doesn't look the least bit unstable either, but then again, I change my strings one at a time as always. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Okay, since we're sort of on the subject, how do you know whether a tunomatic bridge is installed "backwards" or not? I've seen photos where the intonation screws were facing the headstock, and other times facing the tailpiece. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seems to do its job in either orientation, though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The saddles should point forward and the screws should be to the rear.
              As long as it works, though...great!

Comment

Looks like I've got a perfectly-functional backwards-installed bridge then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Which saddles should point forward? All the tunomatics I have, have the first 3 pointing one direction and the second pointing the other. I always thought it was the oppposite as far as which way the screws should face but like Chuck said, as long as it works, who cares [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Looks like I've got a perfectly-functional backwards-installed bridge then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I've got guitars with the bridge facing both ways. As long as it works and your intonation is fine, it doesn't really matter. Every Jackson I've ever seen with a TOM bridge is "backwards" like that, too. Though, it seems to make adjusting the screws easier if they are closer to the back of the guitar. My Schecter 7-string is also backwards with a Tone Pros locking bridge. I took all the strings off it the other day and noticed the little screws for the posts weren't locked and I could pull the bridge off, but they don't just fall off. I've never had any type of TOM bridge fall off with all of the strings off unless the guitar was turned upside down. Who turns their guitar upside down with the strings off anyway?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dunno, maybe they're fiddling with their control cavity or something. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

There are two different TOM bridges - the ABR-1 and the Nashville. The ABR-1 on NOTP's LP is on correctly. Nashville's have the screws pointing to the back.

Differences?
                        ABR-1 - older style first developed by Gibson.
                        Nashville - newer style, wider stronger bridge - more intonation travel (guitar makers can be sloppier with placement)
                        ABR-1 - wire to keep saddles from popping off if you break a string (GOTOH make an ABR-1 with tiny c-clamps).
                        ABR-1 - mounts on post screwed into body.
                        Nashville - mounts on studs/bushings set into body.

Tone wise? ABR-1 supposed to have better tone than a Nashville, but the Nashville is stronger and a better design for intonating.

Comment

Jackson has the JT390 tunomatic bridge (like on the SLSMG, KV2T, SL1T, SL2HT, RR1T)... which style is the Jackson bridge modelled after?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            There are two different TOM bridges - the ABR-1 and the Nashville. The ABR-1 on NOTP's LP is on correctly. Nashville's have the screws pointing to the back.

Differences?
                            ABR-1 - older style first developed by Gibson.
                            Nashville - newer style, wider stronger bridge - more intonation travel (guitar makers can be sloppier with placement)
                            ABR-1 - wire to keep saddles from popping off if you break a string (GOTOH make an ABR-1 with tiny c-clamps).
                            ABR-1 - mounts on post screwed into body.
                            Nashville - mounts on studs/bushings set into body.

Tone wise? ABR-1 supposed to have better tone than a Nashville, but the Nashville is stronger and a better design for intonating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there are quite a few others as well, like the Schaller, Schaller Roller, Gotoh Made ABR-1 Pseudo Copy and more... but these two are by far the most common on Gibson guitars, esp. as factory issue [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL I was getting tired of typing as it is!

Comment

Working...
                              X