scalloping a fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: scalloping a fretboard

Looks a bit deep but considering you are doing it by hand, thats not bad at all, especially for a first attempt. Nice striping on that fretboard btw.

Even if its a bit deep I don't think it will affect anything except the cosmetics of the side dot showing through on those frets. Beyond that I don't think it really matters?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      A little deep since you can see the side dots in the fretboard, but the scallops look pretty clean! I say not bad for a first timer! Good Job!! Are you gonna scallop the whole board now?

[/ QUOTE ]

i just did frets 15-24 to "try it out" so to speak. Ive heard that scalloping is a love-hate type of affair. Hopefully it rules balls...
      www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

The act of scalloping or playing on a scallop board? Cause personally I hate scalloped boards. I just can't get used to it. My friends warmoth is half scalloped and I just can't stand the feel of it, I can't get used to it. But some people take to it immediately.

Comment

That link to project guitar is great. The idea of using the Dremel micro sander is great. That tool is fantastic as well as the rotary grinder.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have to ask serious question(s).....does this "scalloping" actually make the guitar play better? Does it make it sound better? .......or does it just fuck up a nice fretboard???
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thats not the point of scalloping. The point with scalloping is to lower the contact point of your fingers on the fretboard. It can increase playing speed, depending how you play. For me it just feels wierd but you do notice that your fingers seem to "float" across the fretboard more. Some scallop board fans here could probably explain it better. I don't think it fucks up a fretboard at all if you like a plain board. I like inlays myself so thats another deterrent for me.

Comment

Chris makes a point here that you will lose your inlays (if larger than the round dot type). To further on Chris' description, you are also able to do neat bends by just depressing the string. Bending and pressing the string will give you some wild effects. The main attribute is that you do not have the point of contact as Chris stated, thus eliminating friction with the fretboard. Another advantage is that if you maintain the correct fretting pressure, you can produce more accurate notes by maintaining a string-fret contact. The same is true on a standard neck, but the likelyhood is less based on the tendency be push the string downward under the finger contacts the wood then creating a bend over the fret and pulling the note sharp. And yes, you can really increase your playing speed.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                X