spraying clear - mm2002? manyaxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spraying clear - mm2002? manyaxes?

hey, i just shot some clear and the amount of fog that shit creates is crazy. do either of you guys use HVLP, and if so, do you use it for clears? i've heard of people using HVLP for color, but from what i've read (not a ton, mind you) they seem to prefer a plain ol' gravity feed gun. oh, hey mark, thanks for the 50 psi recommendation too, it does flow out a little better at a higher psi than what i was going with (35-40)

what say you?
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: spraying clear - mm2002? manyaxes?

John, here's the deal:

HVLP = less "fog" but lots more wet sanding and buffing.
    HPLV = SHITLOADS of "fog" but less color sanding and buffing.

The key to a smooth finish right out of the gun is ATOMIZATION!

HVLP = sucky atomization
    HPLV = awesome atomization

Bottom line: there is no substitute for paint atomization.

Fact: When atomizing polyurethane (two-part) finishes, the more "fog" you have, the more health hazards you have. PERIOD! Since "NO FOG" is totally impossible, then this becomes more of a health issue than a finish quality issue.

Do not breath the shit...OK??????

A rough coat of clear can be sanded and polished smooth. A pair of lungs impregnated with isocyanates cannot be healed.

If you don't have the proper breathing equipment and an OSHA approved paint booth (and an exhaust system equipped with the proper "arrestor" filters) please stick to lacquer. (and even It's not totally safe)

I know you guys think I'm constantly preaching this shit but please listen to me!!! I know what the fuck I'm talking about.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ray....your input??

Comment

i'm totally not in a pro spray booth, but i did get myself a decent mask; i'm not into taking 20 years off of my life to paint stupid guitars. i work in my garage, and i do keep the door open when i'm shooting stuff. i know it's not the perfect setup, and i'm really glad that i'm almost done with what i've got to paint.

...i hope!

it seems that clear fogs way more than color or primer, which i think is interesting. thanks for the HVLP clarification, though; i'm gonna owe you at least a pony keg for the tips! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

this thread helps me a hell of alot too, thanks guys

I'm upto choosing paint and clear for my guitar, and really have no idea which way to go. My dad has a compressor/guns and a nice new garage, but with the safety concerns I dont know. I'd like a really nice finish (obviously) and know the clear coat aspect of it (to get it shiney as), just wondering what the best and safest method of getting a base metallic/clear coat job done is.

Comment

Unfortunately "best" and "safest" is an impossible combination. You need to compromise and use a good lacquer finish. I will suggest Duracryl by PPG. Get the base color mixed however you want it and follow it with plenty coats of clear (15 to 20 over time). After wet sanding and buffing it will be absolutely gorgeous, just not very durable.

Comment

Compromise has to be made though, aslong as it sticks for a couple of years I'll live long enough to paint it again!
              After some poking around in google I'll try to get into the ppg stuff for sure. Obviously any pro finish will be great, but these things do look good!
              http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...0310pon_66gto/
              http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=920902
              sorry for the derail [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X