Grounding the bridge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding the bridge question

All right, explain it to me like I'm a child. How much grounding is really needed? I've seen ground wires go to the trem claw, a screw inside the control cavity, and to the bridge itself. What gives? Remember, you can't be too remedial in your explanation. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Grounding the bridge question

<font color="aqua">think of it this way, Trav, the more grounding and sheilding you do, the quieter the guitar will be.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

IMO, grounding the strings is an absolute requirement with single-coil pups to keep humming noises minimal:
      grounding the circuit is done via:
      the bridge -> the strings -> the player
      (when the player touches the strings, there's an alternate path for the current).
      on trem guitars, the lead is normally soldered on the metal plate that hold the springs, on non-trem on the bridge itself.

Comment

If you're going with a straight EMG setup, do not ground the bridge/strings at all.
        Could leave you with a tingly feeling when you least expect it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        In all other cases, I agree... the more the better.
        -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If you're going with a straight EMG setup, do not ground the bridge/strings at all.
          Could leave you with a tingly feeling when you least expect it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I see you haven't met Travis yet, EMGs are the devil to him.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
          Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I see you haven't met Travis yet, EMGs are the devil to him.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
            Haven't had the pleasure yet, but I can understand why (refering to the EMG's of course). [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
            -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, you know me so well. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

For the ultimate in quietness - clip ALL the wires [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

But yeah, the more the merrier regarding ground wires - I usually run one from the jack to the pot (any one), then from pot to pot, then pot to switch, then from pot to claw.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  For the ultimate in quietness - clip ALL the wires [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">my wife would agree with you..... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                  X