Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: guitar wood

[ QUOTE ]
    Like with EMG's IMO it doesn't matter what wood you use cause I think they kill the natural tone..

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's a load of crap about EMGs. They're more consistent in tone, but body wood does play a factor in any guitar with any pickup.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, I have a comparative study of EMG's used in guitars with different woods. And the difference in tone is still quite big.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Also body isn't the only factor in regards to tone. Neck and fingerboard all play a part.

[/ QUOTE ]True, but if it's a neck-thru, the neck wood plays more of a part in the overall tone than it would the body sides. With a bolt-on, the overall tone is more dependent on the body wood.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          True, but if it's a neck-thru, the neck wood plays more of a part in the overall tone than it would the body sides. With a bolt-on, the overall tone is more dependent on the body wood.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I never really thought about that but I am sure its true because it makes perfect sense. Actually I'm glad you brought that up because for my custom shop I was gonna get a lacewood body and a koa neck (because koa bodies are so pricey) but if its a neck thru, maybe I should get all koa? Or would the contrasting wood on the wings give it a unique flavor?

As for EMG's. I'll be honest, I just have a problem with them in general. Really I have the same problem with Livewires. Maybe they don't completely kill the tone but I think they definitely OVERPOWER it. Your mileage may vary of course, I just have a thing against EMG's so take what I say with a grain of salt but I think if you want the purest tonal quality of the wood to come through, I would strongely recommend against EMG's.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            True, but if it's a neck-thru, the neck wood plays more of a part in the overall tone than it would the body sides. With a bolt-on, the overall tone is more dependent on the body wood.

[/ QUOTE ]
            I never really thought about that but I am sure its true because it makes perfect sense. Actually I'm glad you brought that up because for my custom shop I was gonna get a lacewood body and a koa neck (because koa bodies are so pricey) but if its a neck thru, maybe I should get all koa? Or would the contrasting wood on the wings give it a unique flavor?

[/ QUOTE ]
            Well, I've never heard Lacewood personally, but I've read it's similar in sound to alder. I think the koa neck would definitely beef up the sound a little and make it a little warmer... should make for a nice unique flavor. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            If you're looking for something a little warmer and closer to mahogany, then I'd go all koa.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I think the koa neck would definitely beef up the sound a little and make it a little warmer... should make for a nice unique flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]
              That sounds like what I am looking for. Its just a much more afforable option as opposed to all koa.

Now here's another question. Most maple tops (quilted or flamed) are thin so they don't affect the sound. But in the case of archtop the top has to be 3/4 right? Would that impact the sound any or is it still pretty much a non issue? Cause my original plan was a neck thru death angel archtop with a quilt top, koa neck and lacewood body. Fingerboard depends, I fell in love with a Ziricote board on a warmoth I played. But since it would have to be a special order, I might just go with Pau Ferro.

If the archtop will make the guitar alot brighter then I might ditch the archtop idea (its been done already anyways, unfortunately someone, Vwall maybe?, beat me to the punch) because I've already got an all maple Warmoth that I got from Doc. Its nice but the tone is pretty bright and I don't find it very well suited to metal (I love it for jazz and rock though).

Comment

Definitly. A nice maple cap on a guitar will impact the sound. In a good way! You ideally want a wood with much low end with a nice thick maple cap. That's the dream combo for many people, perfect balance between tones. For example Mahogany, Koa or Korina with a Maple top.

Never heard a full lacewood body before, no idea how that would sound...
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Good to know. Am I correct in thinking that an archtop must be 3/4 or can you get simply a veneer top?

Comment

You can get an archtop with veneer over top but it would be for looks. It wouldn't give the same tone as a 3/4" maple top.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Like with EMG's IMO it doesn't matter what wood you use cause I think they kill the natural tone..

[/ QUOTE ]
                      That's a load of crap about EMGs. They're more consistent in tone, but body wood does play a factor in any guitar with any pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think you could almost put an EMG on a broomstick and get a better tone than a JB on some solid wood bodies. The EMGs are a hell of a lot less pickier tone-wise with wood than JBs are. At least in my experience anyways.

Pete

Comment

I've had some amazing results with EMGs in "hopeless" axes in the past, but I think it actually says more about how passive pups pick up tone and how they color it.

My personal theory is that the EMGs are more sensitive than most passive pickups - that they "listen in" on a wider frequency range before boosting the signal, and therefore appear like a "magic remedy" in some guitars. There's nothing scientific about that theory though - it just makes sense inside my head. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

All guitar pickups are magnetic by nature - what they pick up are the vibrations of the string, not the vibrations of the body wood. That is why pickups are more important than body wood in regards to the tone you get out of the guitar, IMO - you will only hear the tone of the wood "indirectly" if you will, by its resonating properties.

But I've had a couple of junk guitars that even EMGs couldn't save. One was a plywood Explorer, the other an LP copy of unknown origin.

Comment

depending on the maple it may not be as bright as you think. ive got 4 ALL maple guitars 3 w/ RW boards one ebony. it really depends on the maple, tight grain hard rock maple is real bright. but if it a lighter weight maple it really sounds good IMHO. the X2N sounds real good in maple.

& yes Koa sounds real nice, its nice & full & warm like Mah but its a little brighter & has alittle more punchy brightness to it. its my favorite wood for guitars, too bad its so damn expensive.

Comment

Working...
                          X