Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keeping a Floyd in tune....

[ QUOTE ]
    have you tried some new springs? I know you've considered that factor, but springs don't cost much and if they're not the problem, you've got some spares.

Maybe the increase in string tension was enough to put your old springs over the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That I will do. new springs argh.
    /pirate

Comment

Thoraby, also try lubing every contact point. Pivot's, and both ends of the springs need lube. Also, put the springs in straight, not angled. That eliminates a potential binding point.

Comment

Listen to Chuck's advice, he's wise beyond his years...wait, that's actually not possible. He's really smart. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

You got steps 2 and 3 backwards. You make sure the neck is straight WITH the strings on it. I usually put in a hair of relief. Put a capo at the first fret, then fret the guitar on the low E string with your left hand where the neck meets the body. At the 7th fret you should have just a very slight gap between the bottom of the E string and the top of the 7th fret. Try fretting it with your right hand, and if you can feel the string actually go downwhen you press it, as opposed to just resting on the fret, you should be in the zone.

Comment

I think Tommy's got a point. When I swapped from 10s to 9s on an old guitar, something just didn't sound right. Re-setting the bridge was no problemo. But some chords seemed just a bit off. When I did the usual tuning techniques, it sounded fine. Perfect, actually. But play chords at different points on the fretboard, and it was off by just enough to notice by my ear. I think the intonation was off a bit because of the string gauge change. Not a huge difference, but enough to notice. You might be misinterpreting that for a Floyd tuning stability issue.

Comment

Chuck: I will try. The springs are actually angled. Need to get some lube.

Ace: Neck is straight, no worries. I do actually re-adjust if needed.

Shreddermon: "When I did the usual tuning techniques, it sounded fine."
              Mine didn't.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Q: Maybe the strings aren't stretched Thoraby.
                A: Yes they are. If anything they're overstretched. It's been like this for 3 sets of strings now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is the problem, overstretching the strings, could that affect tuning?

Comment

Is it possible that the stringholding blocks are worn and letting some strings slip?

Comment

Working...
                  X