Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I did it again! Page 2

a couple of things that may help:

when you're shooting primer, or any other coat for that matter, you gotta get even coverage before moving on. in the primer pix you've posted on that page, you can see a lot of unprimed surface. the piece should be completely covered before you move on. keep in mind that i'm just going off of the pictures you posted, and am assuming that's how it looked when you started shooting color.

from the pix, i'd say you're shooting heavy coats if you're getting drips like that. if the book recommends going from one side of the body to another in 1-1.5 seconds, i'd count it out as you spray, just until you get into the habit. as far as the drips you've got now, you may be able to sand it all flat, but i'd think it's gonna take a while before the surface dries enough to sand it.

any chance you can shoot in a garage? i think you'd see massive improvement by doing that. with the wind blowing, i can imagine you've gotta get really close with the spray can, and it's a lot harder to spray an even coat outside.

one thing i did in my garage was to run clear vynl tarps from ceiling to floor to keep everything that i *don't* want to paint from becoming covered in overspray.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I wish I did have a garage [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The pics John posts of him painting shows him outside, but from what I can tell he's also in the 'burbs where houses are close together, and he's got some sort of narrow alley/backyard that I'm sure would have pretty much limited airflow - it's either blowing left or right due to the space between the houses, and probably never deviates from those two directions for more than a minute.

And yeah, I'm having to get 3-4 inches onto it due to the wind. It's funny, but when I was sanding the rest of tha paint off, there was no wind, and it was killing me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Then when I started painting, there was wind [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've been checking the paint every day, and it's still a bit tacky, so I know I can't sand it right now.

As for the primer, once I sanded it flat it was pretty much over 98% of the body. There were a few thin spots. It took one can of primer and one can of sealer to get it covered that much.
      I guess that shoulda been my first indicator that I was doing something wrong, because the projects he bases the book on (LP and Strat), he uses one can of each, and I'm sure a V has the same total area that either of those does.

Ah well, that's why they call it practice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well, i wonder if you can get one of those little sheds? granted, it'd be a few hundred bucks to spraypaint something, but you may have use for it for other things, too.

or i wonder if you can get more of those coat racks you're using to hang a guitar (GREAT idea, btw), cover them with sheets, and make 4 walls out of them. something to break the wind...heh.
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">Ya know what Matt, maybe you should invest in a "mini paint booth". No, I don't mean anything commercial, just get the biggest tarp or clear dropcloths you can and about 4 10' pieces of 1/2" PVC tubing. Stick 1 end into the ground on 4 of the pieces, then arch them over (bend them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) and shove them into the ground forming what looks like a mini airplane hanger [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and drape the tarp over it and tie it down. It's not going to look pretty, but that'll keep the wind out! Can ya picture it? Even if you put short lengths of larger PVC (big enough to insert the 1/2" PVC tubing) in the ground and that way you could just put the booth up and take it down whenever you wanted to! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'll just go back to my beer,....... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Re: I did it again!

[ QUOTE ]
            Nice work Newc! You have way more patients than I could ever have.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Well, he is a doctor, so he should have patients. I bet he's got more patience than you, too. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

dave did a much better job of illustrating what i was thinking. thanks!
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Newc, here is the problem you didn't realize. The book is titled "How To Create A Factory Guitar Finish". You got exactly what the book suggests. That finish looks like one of those run down Tennessee cow patty factories.
                The book you should have followed is titled "How To Create A Really nice Guitar Finish" [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Good god, SIX MONTHS?

I think that'd drive me nuts, having a body hanging there for that long, not being able to touch it. Is the catalyst nasty to work with, hard to get, expensive, or all of the above?

Comment

the catalyst has to be mixed with the paint right before it is sprayed,not something you can get in a rattle can..
                    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Ah, makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sully - thought about that as well, but I may be moving soon, and while those portable sheds are affordable, the few I've seen didn't appear to be big enough (remember the fight scene in the trailer in Kill Bill Vol2? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

My dad used to work for Sears and he said the guy that painted the appliances had a paint booth setup like Dave suggested, except he used huge AC filters and 2x4s. When he had to paint, he set them up around it, painted it, then broke them down and leaned them against the wall when he was done. Of course, the key element to that was that he was indoors in a maintenance shop, which goes back to my first problem [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hopefully I'll be able to find a place of my own that has at least a one-car garage in the next couple of weeks [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Sully - thought about that as well, but I may be moving soon, and while those portable sheds are affordable, the few I've seen didn't appear to be big enough (remember the fight scene in the trailer in Kill Bill Vol2? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

My dad used to work for Sears and he said the guy that painted the appliances had a paint booth setup like Dave suggested, except he used huge AC filters and 2x4s. When he had to paint, he set them up around it, painted it, then broke them down and leaned them against the wall when he was done. Of course, the key element to that was that he was indoors in a maintenance shop, which goes back to my first problem [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hopefully I'll be able to find a place of my own that has at least a one-car garage in the next couple of weeks [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">our little boy is growing up.....snif snif..... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                          X