Pickup tone question, need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup tone question, need some help

I'm on my way to see Jim Mouridian (my tech) right now , so I'll see what the problem is. This body may not be Poplar so I can't focus on that. It's definitely a wiring issue.
    I'll be back in a bit.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Ok I'm back. Jim redid all of the wiring and guess what?
      No difference, the pickup is putting out full power electrically but he said it sounds like it either has a bad magnet or the wiring inside of the pickup is screwd and both coils are not running at full.
      Either way he said lose the pickup and get another one.
      Oh well now I have to go deal with the store that I bought it from (I'm out $70.00) and get something else or just put the JB back in that was in there.
      WTF nothing is ever easy around here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Seymour Duncan has an exchange policy, but I'll bet the dealer will stand behind it.
        Either way, Duncan will.
        That sucks, bro...sorry to hear that.

Comment

I'm going to throw the JB back in tonight to make sure that this really is the problem.
          Bums me out big time, this guitar plays so well, and right now it sounds so weak. The shop I got the pickup from is pretty good to deal with, hopefully they won't give me shit about this. I got the 2 mini hums frm Matt, I should've just got all of them there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

well the JB is back in and it sounds good again. I think somehow the custom I put in is screwed up somehow. The JB sounds much fuller and isn't the Custom SH5 supposed to be fuller than the JB? the Custom literally sounded like a Strat single coil piclup without the hum of a single.
            Anyone got any ideas? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I think that pickup was screwed up.

Comment

Defective pickup Nick(happens!!),bring it back & get a new one bro!!

Comment

Yeah, defective pickup. The Custom is supposed to be less harsh than the JB in the highs and high mids, shouldn't be thin sounding.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Customs and custom 5s kick ass.Sounds like you got a bad one.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I did too. I had a Custom 5 (TB-5) in my GMW Bomber that I traded to Johnyryche for my Blue Q. GMW and that thing sounded Fat!
                      I think I 'm going to try a Custom Custom (Sh-11 or Tb-11)
                      that should be a little warmer sounding or maybe a full Shred (SH-10). I've got a Csutom custom (TB-11) in the bridge of my BLue Q. and it sounds killer thru my marshall!

Comment

The Custom Custom is a very midrange heavy pickup
                        The Custom 5 has very little midrange.
                        I think you should try another Custom. If you hear a good one, you'll like it!

Comment

Working...
                        X