X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I DID IT!

That's pretty cool looking Newc. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice bro, keep us posted

Comment

The can for the Clearcoat says I can buff it with some rubbing compound after 48 hours (tomorrow afternoon) but John said I should really wait 2 months before doing that, as it'll come out a lot better.
        I may do half the top tomorrow and wait 2 months to do the other half, just for comparison's sake.

Unfortunately, it took one whole can of Color to do the top, which means it'll take another can to do the back and sides [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'll use the back for experiments in layer thickness and such.

I need more cheap project bodies [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Way to go Newc, can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

How about doing the whole top tomorrow and then letting the back rest for two months?

[ QUOTE ]
            I need more cheap project bodies

[/ QUOTE ]
            Shit, I should have sold you my Samick. Maybe I'd have gotten more than $25 off of it. God I got ripped...

Comment

I could do that.

My original idea (and one I still may do) is to get a body that has a nice factory finish (Jackson import) and mask it off in 5 sections, then set each section up like this:
              Section 1 - Untouched factory finish
              Section 2 - Strip the clearcoat off of it and apply a new one according to the book
              Section 3 - Strip this one down to the Primer and repaint it AND re clear it according to the book
              Section 4 - Strip this one down to the Sealer and put down Primer, Color, and Clear by the book
              Section 5 - Strip down to the wood, then seal, prime, color, and clear according to the book.

Then when it's all done and has sat and cured for 6 months, pull all the tape off and compare each section to the untouched factory finish.

Anyhoo, gotta run out and get another DupliColor package tonight so I can get busy in the morning [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

hey newc, how would you compare your book to reranch? just asking to see if its worth buying or not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

chris

Comment

If you're looking for a project body, my brother's got a bass that he is thinking of having refinished in lake placid blue or something... I'll ask him when he's home later. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think he also wants a bridge pickup route carved in it too, so you can Newcenstein it as well. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

RP - Never tried the Reranch thing. Been to the site once but didn't stay long [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

NOTP - Be aware that the book says that once the last layer of clear has been applied, it should sit for 2 months before wetsanding and polishing, and then another 6 months without touching a stand (I suppose it could hang by the neck, but the rubber arm coatings on guitar stands will eat through the paint if it's not completely cured).

And as an update to this little project, I started to polish the clearcoat, but then something told me to check the book before going too far, and I'm glad I did, because I missed a step - I was supposed to wetsand BEFORE using the rubbing compound (too about 2 hours to find a store that even HAD the one he recommends [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
                    So I wiped/washed off the compound and proceeded to wetsand for about 20 minutes (he says it should take longer than that, but this ADD of mine... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                    Anyhoo, the finish came out silky smooth from wetsanding, but kinda swirly, so I then moved onto the compounding again, but this time with a buffing/compounding wheel that mounts to any electric drill. I think I'm gonna need to put on a few more dozen layers of clear until I develop the proper technique for buffing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now the "good" news [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                    I started on the back of the body - once again scuffing the clearcoat and laying down the basecoat, this time with the intention of experimenting with uneven thicknesses of the layers to see how it affects the color shift.
                    Once the final layer of basecoat dried and I started spraying the color, the wind (which was behaving rather nicely the other day) couldn't make up its mind which direction it wanted to blow from. So I had to keep moving the guitar body so the wind was behind me, and not blowing it back in my face. 5 minuted this way, 2 minutes that way, one minute another way, and on and on for the whole time.

So I go inside to take a leak, and I come out and the dropcloth had untied itself and stuck to the wet paint in several places [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                    So there I was with giant patches of paint missing from the body [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Since I had already used almost half the can of color, I decided to just keep spraying like I had been, hoping to at least be able to get SOME results of my experimenting - I put a thick layer of basecoat on the center of the body, and left the sides with thinner coats, and also sprayed half the body in a side to side motion, and the other half in an up and down motion.
                    Nada. No change whatsoever. It still shifts side to side [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ah well, I can live with that, but not with the messy back, so I let it sit in a chair in the sun to dry while I stripped another body, and then when it was dry enough, I sanded it back down to the basecoat and original finish (kinda spotty, but it's the Guinea Pig anyway)
                    $20 for a Mirage kit down the tubes [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'm moving on to another project using regular solid colors (and some special additives) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    Got the body almost completely stripped to the bare wood, and will hopefully finish that up tomorrow and start this one "by the book".
                    It's going to be interesting, to say the least [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If it comes out like I want it to, it's gonna RAWK!

Comment

So, where are the pics of the buffed front?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have painted plenty of guitars with rattle cans. I always used a one stage paint, i.e. one that did not require a clear coat, and never tried anything too exotic. I found that with all paint jobs, the quality of the finished product is reflective of the quality of the preparation. Prepare the body well, take your time with the painting and wet sand and rub it out carefully and it will generally come out well.

I am curious to see what the front looks like now that you rubbed it out.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

No shine to it at all, which is why I say I need to add more clear layers.

Comment

Newc,

I used the same kit on a guitar a while back. The clear coat with the kit is kinda dull. I had to call the company and ask them what clear coat I could use to shine it up. They recommended their's (of course)

Looks good btw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck

Comment

Well, for one thing, their can says to put on 3 or 4 coats, but the book says you should do 8 for solid colors (i.e. non-graphics like the ZW or EVH). I only did 4 thin layers, so I'm sure if I empty two cans (what's left of them) onto it, it'll have a nice thick layer of clear that can be wetsanded and polished up.

Unfortunately, we've got rain today, so I can't get out there and do it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Just be careful with the clear...sometimes they have a tendency to run. That is why I usually stick with a single stage, lay it on thick so there is plenty to sand and polish.

Looks promising though. Keep us up to date....I thought about buying that book myself.

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

This has been an absolutely fascinating read, Newc! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                And that reflective "cop car" paint idea just cracks me up! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                You know what would be cool? A Roswell Rhoads that glows in the dark. I would like to see that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Working...
                                X