Refin questions: how to lighten a finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Refin questions: how to lighten a finish

Thanks! This has been the easiest refin I've done, by far. Getting the original finish off was tough, and I was very disappointed when I lost the veneer top, but the wipe on poly worked great, IMO. Much easier than spraying.

Here's what it looked like before (this pic also shows the body I was planning to transplant the parts to):

The original finish was in great shape, but just way too dark to see any grain. It looked black, but was actually a very dark brown ("Mocha," I think).

Comment

. . . oh yeah, good suggestions for the trem cavity, too. I plan to dress that up. The chemicals did a number on the original insert that was in there.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        +1 to that. On the RR Legend I purchased from guitar express, the finish was CRAP. I've never seen such poor paintwork in my life. The pinstripes were splochy and white was coming through all over.

I have a feeling I got the runt of the litter though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you dind't. Where the pinstripes meet near the neck joint on mine, they start to get splotchy and white comes through in places. It also has a few spots on the top that are lighter than the rest of the guitar.

Quicksilver, that is a really nice piece of mahogany. Why they would cover that up is beyond me. Who cares about that veneer, it looks great just like that.

Comment

Thanks, Noodles. Here it is with the hardware and electronics back in. I really like the spartan, black hardware on natural finish look:

Now if I was REALLY adventurous, I'd sand the headstock down to bare maple, put a black (or better yet, black chrome, if I could find it) Ibanez logo on it and clear-coat it, scallop the highest frets (Jem-style) and replace the pearl dot markers with smoked mirror dot markers. But I'm not that adventurous (well, I will probably scallop it a bit - I'm not made of stone, after all! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

Comment

I think it looks much better. Great job! Now you won't have to worry about it collecting fingerprints [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

WOW! That looks great. Beautiful piece of wood. Nice Job [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X