No announcement yet.

Fret wire...stainless 'vs' nickle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fret wire...stainless \'vs\' nickle?

Thanks gang.
    For me, this has been an informative thread.
    I'll most likely go with stainless.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Even though it looks like you have made your decision, I’m going to flood you with more propaganda [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Check this thread from the TAG forum and look at replies from Tom (Anderson), Roy and Bruce. Roy and Bruce are Anderson employees.

http://andersonforum.com/board/showt...ss+steel+frets

Comment

I don't see any reason to go stainless unless you've got an allergy.

Comment

I'm allergic to frets that wear too quickly and tarnish between string changes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Comment

I've seen guitars 10+ years old, with orignal frets that aren't worn out. A little 0000 steel wool every couple of string changes, and you're all cleaned up.

The cost of the steel frets (more to my understanding, I've never installed them at my SMALL tech shop) is a little bit more, not much, but a little bit (if this makes sense).

Then on top of it, you're ripping the old frets out of the guitar, changing possibly the feel of what you had before, so you may not like it.

I'm a large proponent towards, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I had an old Rhoads, used when I bought it, it was like a 91 or so, and I had it for 4 years, played out with it every weekend and played it for about 3 hours a day with 10s on it, never had any trouble.

All I'm getting at man, is you may be making work for no reason to yourself.

Comment

Depends on how hard you play and how often and what string gauge. I've seen guitars that were a YEAR old with serious fretwear. Pluses for stainless:

1) never have to polish frets again
              2) frets will stay 'slick' feeling
              3) if you didn't wear regular frets much, you'll NEVER wear these
              4) fretwork? if they are installed properly in the first place in a good neck, forget it.

For the small extra fee that many builders charge, stainless are WELL worth the extra bucks.

Pete

Comment

Stainless frets do sound more thin and tinny to me. Plus they lack that soft silky feel of nockel....ummm I mean nackle....er nickle.....or nikel....or however it's spelled.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I like beer...........
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Maybe you have a light touch but I notice fret wear soon after I get a guitar. In addition to the wear factor, I also like that SS frets don't tarnish keeping the stings and my finders cleaner. When I do a sting change I don't have to spend as much time trying to get the frets polished. They also feel slippery which helps with bends and vibrato.

I can understand they are not everyone’s cup of tea though.

Comment

Stainless is definitely bright sounding. Personally I prefer nickel.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Maybe you have a light touch but I notice fret wear soon after I get a guitar. In addition to the wear factor, I also like that SS frets don't tarnish keeping the stings and my finders cleaner. When I do a sting change I don't have to spend as much time trying to get the frets polished. They also feel slippery which helps with bends and vibrato.

I can understand they are not everyone’s cup of tea though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I have a R0 Les Paul I'm playing the shit out of, but I am pretty heavy-handed. I'm afraid I'm going to grind the frets down.

Having smooth frets for bending and vibrato is great too. I won't buy a guitar if the fretboard is course (because of the way they cut the rosewood). I really like ebony because of the smoothness.

Comment

Working...
                        X