18v EMG system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18v EMG system

I think if you just drop the "more headroom" part of you explanation you are right there.
    More articulate with easier pinch harmonics. I might even throw in.. more sensitive.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I think if you just drop the "more headroom" part of you explanation you are right there.
      More articulate with easier pinch harmonics. I might even throw in.. more sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and the added sensitivity and articulation, esp. clean, is the result of... More headroom [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What´s technically happening is that the OP-amps of the preamp circuit have a larger voltage range to work with, so they don´t "limit" as soon, causing compression and distortion. The added headroom of 18V to work with alleviates that.

BTW, this is also the reason Duncan Livewires run on 18V [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I did some more frantic searching, because I KNEW I was right!

Jaymz did indeed swap-in EMG's during the Ride The Lightning tour, because he was attracted by their tight low-end. He says this in an old Guitarworld from '91. So the chances are great, that he used them as well for recording on MOP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Scepticism is still needed though. Knowing the old Jaymz, he probably was too drunk at that time to think clearly, or he didn't give a fuck and just named the first tour that came into his head. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you all for this thread and diagram. I modded my Warmoth mutt today and love it. EMG 85 in the bridge and now 18 volts. It makes a difference for sure.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

metallica started using esp's/emg's during garage days.during MOP,I believe he was using some duncan at the time.

Comment

Well, I've got my own research saying the same you (post-MOP). But on the other hand you've got James himself saying he started using them on RTL.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
              X