No announcement yet.

Proper caps for a LP with Custom/Jazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proper caps for a LP with Custom/Jazz?

If you are doing a cap and pot swap, use good quality parts. CTS pots, and if you can find them, real bumble bee caps (lot's of fakes out there). Actually, any foil and paper cap should be better than cheap ceramics.

You might want to try the Gibson 50's wiring - but I'm not sure with those pickups if you are trying to get a classic Gibson tone.

500K pots will give you extra volume and brightness. Rolling the volume down to 250K will give you the sound of s 250K pot on 10, but you can't roll a 250K pot up higher (unless you are Spinal Tap LOL!)

I'd personally shy away from a .047 cap (not .47 and not .22! That would kill the whole sound like a volume!). .022 is good for me, but each pickup has it's own frequency responce. I have used .015 on neck pickups.

Try both and see which one you like - that's all that matters.

Comment

Re: Proper caps for a LP with Custom/Jazz?

Oh yeah, nuttin' but quality stuff goin' in or I wouldn't even bother. Any future changes after everything is in will be pups only. I've already finished up the easy stuff: black locking Grovers and black Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece. Replacing the post inserts was an adventure but not too difficult.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
      X