Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs????

[ QUOTE ]
    Eh, just leave it like it is, Alex, they look good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think so, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs

How much would an inlay job cost, typically? I really like my Orville LP Custom except for the crooked inlays. I imagine after a luthier squared the cutouts on the fretboard properly, I'd need custom sized inlays? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Orville inlays
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        How much would an inlay job cost, typically? I really like my Orville LP Custom except for the crooked inlays. I imagine after a luthier squared the cutouts on the fretboard properly, I'd need custom sized inlays? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Orville inlays

[/ QUOTE ]
        I don't know, but at least they're consistently crooked! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I remember the excuses Gibson has given about quality control problems on some of their Les Pauls....Crooked inlays mean a high quality, hand-made instrument. If the inlays are perfect, then it is a cheap, mass produced instrument made on a CNC machine. Leave them crooked, it will make it a higher quality guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but at least they're consistently crooked! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, that was so funny, I forgot to laugh, man... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

j/k [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's actually limited to the 9th 12th and 15th inlays, but I can't believe it left the Orville factory like this. Caveat emptor when you buy overseas....talk about a Friday guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Still she's an awesome player (as most Orville's are) and I don't mind keeping her...which probably means forever since i think the inlays would always be a dealbreaker. But she could be a great candidate for a refin at GMW. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
            X