No announcement yet.

my wife the Luthier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely keep them coming. I thought this thread was done already - didn't know you were doing so much to that guitar!

Awesome work - wish I lived nearby, I'd love to watch you work on this stuff

Is that shelf in the pickup cavities for a flush-mounted pickup ring by any chance?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
      umm..... no?
      Rats.

The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

• Great work Dave...
        The guitar just looks killer!
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

• Ok, then, I'll keep them coming, it's cool that you guys get into this.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Definitely keep them coming. I thought this thread was done already - didn't know you were doing so much to that guitar!

Awesome work - wish I lived nearby, I'd love to watch you work on this stuff

Is that shelf in the pickup cavities for a flush-mounted pickup ring by any chance?
          So come up sometime, we'll have a beer and make parts!

As for the secondary route: sort-of !!!!!

Originally posted by axtogrind View Post
          Rats.

You too, don't you have to go on any business trips soon?
          Last edited by Budman68; 04-24-2007, 11:17 AM.
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

• Get into it? Dave, I'd rather check this thread than look at boobies.

Well, almost.

Comment

• Originally posted by axtogrind View Post
              Get into it? Dave, I'd rather check this thread than look at boobies.

Well, almost.

by the way, lisa's doing great -
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

• Very glad to hear it!

Comment

• Originally posted by axtogrind View Post
                  I'd rather check this thread than look at boobies.
                  this is a great thread and all, but my god man...boobies?!?!?!?!

dave, by all means, keep the lathe pix comin. any and all progress documentation is cool.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

• I have to say that You are a very well rounded tech. I am an Ase cert Master mechanic, and I am the A class mechanist. I started to set up a jig to do routs on my Bridgeport Mill, and I will tell everyone here. This guy is a master of at least three separate trades. No machinist I know is also a wood working expert, and not many wood carvers are finish experts. and none of the above are tool makers. We pay a pretty penny to have a guy come in and do setups on our mills, and also to think of and invent tools and bits to accomplish certain cuts and jobs. You do it all
                    The mini router table that holds the dremmil is great and so is the angled file for fret ends.. If you made that Tail piece/bridge, I will say that makes you a professional level machinist.

Comment

• Cool perspective, PittJitsu. Let me add a tidbit that you might not (yet) know: Dave is also one hell of a nice guy. Hard to imagine anybody nicer.

Sonofabitch is an artist, a master craftsman, and a nice person!

EDIT: Yeah, Sully, I got a little carried away with that. My bad. I figured you'd all know I didn't REALLY mean it.

Comment

• You have a great Cheering crowd here Mr Dave...
                        One question .. Does he play the guitar well?

See sadly, I can fox anything, build most things, and now that I'm into guitars ( I was an 80's drummer) I now have 40 guitars, and am proud that I have brought a few classics back from the dead regarding repairs. I mill trem parts, and shims custom knobs and more... BUT... I STINK at playing.. Really its sad, but I am like a white kid break dancing. I just don't get it.. wondering if thats the consensus of other repairmen..

Comment

• excellent work and progress pics Dave!
                          this thread rocks and so do you.
                          I love seeing each step and that you are making your own metal parts, that's insane!

you make me almost want to take back every bad thing I have said about Pennsylvania
                          (I grew up there... )
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

• I'm part of the silent horde cheering this thread on. I expect there's an army of people like me looking forward to the next installment without wanting to butt in. Please keep it coming Dave.

Comment

• I love this thread!... I've been silently lurking on this one for a little while now too...

Who wouldn't watch an American Chopper style show about building guitars?

My favorite part is the black binding all the way around.

Out of curiosity, will you put a Charvel logo on the headstock when you are done?

Comment

• Originally posted by PittJitsu View Post
                                ...but I am like a white kid break dancing. I just don't get it.. wondering if thats the consensus of other repairmen..
                                Steve Vai once said that Jazz guys were just frustrated Metal players.

Maybe it is the same for luthiers and such
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X