Lemon Oil SUCKS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lemon Oil SUCKS!

I guess I assumed all maple fretboards were finished. Shame on me.
    "POOP"

Comment

for the most part, most necks are finished, but yeah, maple unfinished boards are common on the old bc rich gunslingers.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Haven't played very many J/C's with maple fretboards, have 'ya? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

So I should look at it as the Yankees are to lemon oil, the Sox are to linseed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Funny you should mention baseball, because on that linseed oil info page they said it is actually flaxseed oil, which made me think of Barry Bonds. He must have accidentally used the boiled flaxseed oil. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

Eh, Lemon oil doesn't suck, and if anyone tells you so, they are full of it.

Lemon oil works just fine, and if you like it, use it. I've used Lemon oil for years, with no problems what so ever.

I've used Linseed oil a few times (IIRC the rags can catch on fire if balled up or something like that). I put way too much on, and let it sit way too long. I ended up scraping it off of the damn fretboard, then cleaning up the board. It definately has a slight darkening tone, but it looks kind of cool.

I hear sooooooo many different things on conditioning fretboards, don't use this, use this, don't use this, use this. One guitar tech around here, is a Fender Gold Level tech and a great luthier, but he swears AGAINST oils. He says MAYBE a little in the season change.

Bottom line is this, if something works, use it. I've always used it, and it works good for me.

Comment

Do you use it on Maple unfinished fretboards? Were the results good on those also? I only ask because my last guitar purchase (GMW) has a raw maple neck/fretboard and it's getting pretty dirty, but I'm a little afraid to try anything due to so much of the "This works, that doesn't" and then the next guy "That works, this doesn't". I'm sceeered........ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Edit *** BTW, I did see Sullys sticky topic and I may go ahead and try that. I figure, if it's good enough for Sully.......... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I've used lemon oil, linseed, danish, and tung on unfinished maple fretboards and necks. Danish and Tung are more sealer oils as they are quite a bit heavier. I personally do not prefer them for simple freboard conditioning.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Do you use it on Maple unfinished fretboards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Do this ONLY on unfinished / oiled necks and fretboards. Oil treatments are not applicable to finished necks and fretboards.

Please guys, don't muck up your finished Jackson necks and Fender fretboards with this. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Deneb: So I guess I'm "full of it"? [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Geesh, dude. Lighten up, will ya? The "lemon oil sucks" line was (obviously) totally tounge-in-cheek. No, lemon oil does not actually suck. But, IMHO, a linseed oil treatment is much better and will last longer.

Comment

hotrod, another nice and easy thing you can do before oiling the maple neck is using a wood cleaner first. get a bottle of minwax wood cleaner, or formby's cleaner, and that will clean it up before you oil it.

and the gold level tech is right; you don't need to do this more than once or twice a year, if that. my old LTD was my main guitar for years, and i never did a thing to it as far as fretboard maintenance for at least 10 years, and never had a problem.

yeah, lemon oil can work fine, but why not use a better tool? and mister solo, you are dead on, sir. lemon is the evil empire of oils.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

lemon oil vs. linseed oil.... which one will make a rosewood fretboard darker?

what about if i lemon-oil it and then put linseed oil on top of it?
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

if you want to darken rosewood, you could try a walnut tinted (or darker if you can find it) danish oil.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thanks (: where would i find that?
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Most hardware stores or definitely Home depot.

Comment

If you want a greasy neck use lemon oil (Crisco works just as good!). If you want to actually seal and protect the wood as well as produce a nice silky feel, use linseed or danish oil.
                                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X