Seymour Duncan JB vs DiMarzio Tonezone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour Duncan JB vs DiMarzio Tonezone

compare a JB doing Chuggah to something like a Dimarzio super 3 doing chuggah....you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      compare a JB doing Chuggah to something like a Dimarzio super 3 doing chuggah....you will see what I am talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
      without getting into any debates over this i feel it is more a matter of the amp than the pup.
      I can make a JB sound just as fat as a invader or super 3 with this bad boy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

A JB most certainly can chunk right along, I think they sound great for both rhythm and lead. It doesn't have that scooped feel, but I never cared much for that anyway--I prefer to take my mids out at the amp, not the guitar. I've tried the Tone Zone several times, and to me, the PU sounds muffled. It's great if your guitar is overly bright, but I've never gotten a good tone out of it in a neck-thru guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I've tried the Tone Zone several times, and to me, the PU sounds muffled. It's great if your guitar is overly bright, but I've never gotten a good tone out of it in a neck-thru guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Ibanez even found that out when they decided to NOT use it for the RGT prestige series(neck thru RG's).
          they went with two PAF pro's.
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

YOu could take the single coils out of a chinese made strat copy and make them sound huge with the right amp and effects, but I have a JB in the bridge of my fusion, and a Super three in the bridge of my HM strat-both guitars are basswood, have floyds, maple/rosewood necks-only major difference being the scale length (only a quarter inch difference there). Plugged into the same rig with same EQ settings, the Super 3 is a bigger sounding, bassier, more midrangey type sound, and the JB is more high endy. That was my only point.....

Comment

3/4" difference, that´s more than enough to make a tonal difference [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Except that in this case, the JB would be the one getting the "extra girth" from the shorter scale, all other things equal (which they aren´t, alone because they´re 2 different pieces of wood), so you "got lucky" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the JB is highly overrated! I had one in my old Hamer Special FM (with a '59 in the neck), and I thought the JB was pretty bright and lacking bass. The guitar had a set mahogany neck, mahogany body, rosewood board, 3/8" maple top. It sounded nice in the high mids and treble, just needed more balls in the bass. I changed the pups out to the chrome 25th anniversary EMG 81 set, it had a lot more balls... and the 81 is known for being a bright pup, but it still had more bass than the JB!
                The Tone Zone I had in my old string-thru Dinky HX, tuned down to D, and it sounded amazing, very chunky, never got muddy at all, and it had nice balanced highs, too.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I think the JB is highly overrated! I had one in my old Hamer Special FM (with a '59 in the neck), and I thought the JB was pretty bright and lacking bass. The guitar had a set mahogany neck, mahogany body, rosewood board, 3/8" maple top. It sounded nice in the high mids and treble, just needed more balls in the bass. I changed the pups out to the chrome 25th anniversary EMG 81 set, it had a lot more balls... and the 81 is known for being a bright pup, but it still had more bass than the JB!
                  The Tone Zone I had in my old string-thru Dinky HX, tuned down to D, and it sounded amazing, very chunky, never got muddy at all, and it had nice balanced highs, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

all i know is the duncan custom pisses all over the JB
                  the JB is real good but like you said it is very overrated
                  [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    the music man axis bridge pickup is pretty much a tone zone if you want to check it out before you buy one.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT true at all! dimarzio claims it is but the EVH axis one is much crisper,cleaner and does not have that much girth that the TZ does.
                    I know quite a few axis players that actually put a TZ in the axis in place of the EVH dimarzio for more of a meaty tone

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

dimarzio says: "The closest-sounding pickups we offer are the Air Norton™ for the neck position and the Tone Zone® for the bridge position."
                      they don´t say that the EVH/axis pu is a TZ.

Comment

my bad thats what i heard at the music man forum.sorry

Comment

Working...
                        X