Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: question about old strings

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe it is just me, but I am starting to like my tone more as the strings get older. .... I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this and is it safe to leave strings on for a really long time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it's safe, but you might run the risk of breaking the plain strings versus the wounds. You're not the only one that prefers well-used strings. I think EVH liked to record the early stuff with well-worn in strings that'd he bring back some sparkle too by boiling them in water with some vinegar mixed in. I learned to do this from my friend who plays bass who did it quite a bit when we were younger when we had more time on our hands and way less $$$. It works for guitar strings as well, but I find it to be a pain in the ol arse since buying string sets aren't that bad!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I've boiled a few sets of strings in my day..had NO money. Got me by. And yep, I broke several plains..

Comment

Is it me, or am I the only one who finds it difficult to restring strings that have already been used? I mean, the part that winds around the tuner post gets all jumbled, and I typically cut the string very close to the post after I've tuned the string to pitch so I don't have a lot of slack. It's just easier with a straight new string that won't curl up or fall short as I'm trying to wind it around the post.

Comment

NOTP, you are right about that, but it CAN be done..PITA..but can be done. It's amazing what you can make work when you are broke, have NO new strings... LOL..I always keep about 6 sets on hand now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            > and then get whatever you want to replace the treble strings as they will break
            > or be dead sounding long before the wound strings will.

Weird, usually i find the bottom strings lose their tone much faster than the high ones.

.... and is it "elixer" or "elixir" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking only about the Elixir strings. Recently I've been changing my strings whenever I break a high E, which is usually once every few weeks.

Comment

Instead of boiling old strings, this is what I did:

Fold up newspaper and stick it under the strings to protect the fretboard and body.

Spray the strings with WD-40 and let sit for 5 minutes.

Take my nastiest polish cloth and use it to scrape the crud off each string one at a time.
              Pull the cloth around the string like a sling, twist it, then pull the colth up anddown the length of the string.

You'll be amazed how much crud and rust comes off, and how much better the strings sound afterward. If you have a Floyd, you may have to unclamp and retune, but you'll get a lot more milage out of the strings!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

or buy strings from MF 10 sets at a time for like $2 per set

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Instead of boiling old strings, this is what I did:

Fold up newspaper and stick it under the strings to protect the fretboard and body.

Spray the strings with WD-40 and let sit for 5 minutes.

Take my nastiest polish cloth and use it to scrape the crud off each string one at a time.
                  Pull the cloth around the string like a sling, twist it, then pull the colth up anddown the length of the string.

You'll be amazed how much crud and rust comes off, and how much better the strings sound afterward. If you have a Floyd, you may have to unclamp and retune, but you'll get a lot more milage out of the strings!

[/ QUOTE ]

lerx, i use the WD- 40 as my string cleaner from the get go, my strings last double the life of normal and i play 4-6 hours a day

Comment

kickin and lerx, Does the WD40 build up on your strings. I have used Fast fret (GHS) before and I noticed that after about an hour of playing I started to get a build up of gunk on the strings, I know you use it after you play to preserve them but, do you wipe it off w/dry rag before the next time you play?
                    Not trying to jack this thread but, just have a quick question.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      kickin and lerx, Does the WD40 build up on your strings. I have used Fast fret (GHS) before and I noticed that after about an hour of playing I started to get a build up of gunk on the strings, I know you use it after you play to preserve them but, do you wipe it off w/dry rag before the next time you play?
                      Not trying to jack this thread but, just have a quick question.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      not for me? the WD just keeps them from coroding as fast [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I must a bit of an oddbal after all. It is a must for me to have new strings on my acoustic. Old dead strings on an acoustic kills its tone making it sound flat and dull. As far as my electrics I prefer older strings. Old but not dead ones. I think rolling harmonics and pinch harmonics come out clearer on older strings. Plus they are stretched out and maintain their tuning better than new strings. Yes I'm lazy. If you had triplet 3 year old boys you would be to.

Comment

Working...
                        X