X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Dinky refinish nightmare

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't use a block of wood. It will shrink, and you will be haunted by lines showing where the recesses used to be. Bevel the edges of the pickup recess and fill it with Bondo, which is designed not to shrink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like significant "shrinkage". Seriously though, I have never heard of wood shrinking. What planet does this occur on?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha..that reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George is caught naked in the swimming pool by some woman...he's like "don't they know it SHRINKS????"
    Elaine: "it shrinks?"
    Jerry: "like a frightened turtle!"
    Elaine: "I don't even know why you bother walking around with those things..."

Sorry for the highjack! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hell, that's feakin trunk paint bro! Trust me, I use the shit outa that stuff. Use razor blades to scrape it off the best you can and then get after it with some 80 grit on down to the wood, then start fresh. I really can't believe someone actually used that stuff on a guitar! It is meant as a rubbery abrasion resistant coating for use on poperly treated metal only.
      This reminds me of a problem I've tried to deal with for years......why does the stuff you don't want on a surface stick so well????
      In my business I spend a great deal of money on high dollar adhesion promoters, epoxy primers/sealers, metal etching chemicals, etc., and from time to time I still have adhesion problems! BUT......I overcook a little gravy or eggs in a teflon coated pan and I swear there's nothing that can get that shit off!!! I just don't get it.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'd use fiberglass resin for the pickup cavities. That's what i used for a few similar applications and they all came out fine.

you know the stuff you add a few drops of "hardener" liquid and mix it, then after several minutes it becomes.. well, hard.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Wow, that stuff looks like it would be a pain getting it off. Post pics when you've got it stripped.

Comment

That looks only slightly worse than an aborted paint job I attempted on my poor Epi Les Paul.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I haven't gotten around to it, and I will likely try the Formby's first. I am a little leery about trying something as potent as that aircraft stripper. Last case scenario for that if the Formby's doesn't work.

Delt thanks for the idea on Fiberglass resin for the cavities. Mark is that the same stuff you used on that hot pink Jackson with a Kahler you did for Dave?

Comment

Mark used Bondo, then a thin layer of Evercoat polyester glazing putty over the whole surface, which acts as a veneer to keep the edges of the filled cavities from showing up later. Bondo is polyester resin (exactly the same stuff as fiberglass resin) with an added solid which makes it have a putty consistency. Some formulas use talc as the solid, others use chopped fiberglass for more strength. The cool thing about fiberglass resin is that it is liquid & you could pour it in & it would tend to self-level.

I tried Mark's method for my project & I think it worked great after he helped me out.

Paint stripped, old trem post holes doweled, new bushings
                installed for Floyd posts.

Gaping Ibanez trem route filled with Bondo (backed with wood) for Floyd.

Neck pickup filled with Bondo. I used a wood block to about 1/4" shy of surface, then Bondo. You can use all Bondo, though, which is what Mark does. Filled holes for pickup selector, tone knob, & input jack by backing with wood & filling with Bondo. Input jack moved to side. Entire top covered with Evercoat glazing putty, which is like a finer, thinner-bodied version of Bondo that is easy to spread & sands really well. Sanded & ready to prime in this pic. The binding made it a little tricky, but it would be super easy on an unbound body.

The mistakes I made that Mark helped me with:

1) I didn't bevel the edges wide enough at first when I prepped the holes for Bondo. Very important so you can feather it & avoid an abrupt line at the edges. Mark recommended a about a 1/2" wide shallow bevel.
                2) I used crappy lacquer-based glazing putty to fill imperfections. Big mistake because this stuff shrinks over time & will show up later after painting. Mark caught it & tore me a new one. I removed it & went back with Bondo & the Evercoat putty. The key thing with Bondo & Evercoat putty is that they are catalyzed, which means that once they harden there is no shinkage.

Another thing you may want to talk to Mark about is that you may not need to strip all the way down to bare wood for your project, depending on how it goes getting that nasty crap off of there. He has posted 2 great refins (one of which is Budman's) where he left the original poly on & did the fills & putty right over it after a good sanding.

Comment

Here's the link for the pink Model 6 refin:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...art=1&vc=1

You can see how wide Mark tapered the edges of the holes prior to filling, The pic labeled "Filler/Primer" actually shows the glazing putty stage. There are people who use Bondo & don't do the glazing putty step, but Mark's results speak for themselves & he has so much experience using this stuff for restoring cars that I've got to believe this is the surest way to be certain that it turns out right.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Nah, don´t worry YAO. That kind of thing only happens to Newc (He wasn´t the seller by any chance, or? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ] Seller, Hell. Suprised he didn't try to snipe it (j/k).

Comment

Working...
                    X