Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Van Halen freaks...........

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, I can't really help, because most of the swooshy parts in his songs I always thought were flanger and I found out later some were phaser. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Whenever I've messed with effects, I seem to prefer flanger over phaser. Also, I thought Eddie used an ADA flanger besides the MXR.

[/ QUOTE ]I prefer flangers too, because it's triggered by your picking instead of having a set sweep, so half your playing doesn't get muffled in the sweep. Don't know about Ed, but Pat Travers is well known for using the ADA flanger, which sounded great. I had the EH Electric Mistress, which wasn't the best but was cheap, and adequate, then switched to a Ibanez HD 1000 Harmonics/Delay, I like its flanging too. Rick, toys are to be played with, bad or no band. In fact you really get more time to play with tem when you're not in a band, as you're not always rehearsing or learning songs for the band, you can just play with the sounds your toys will make.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Someone was mention that he used BOTH phase and flange on that last part of the intro riff. I know there is also a ton of reverb comeing out of the channel opposite the one Eddie is in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the way they recorded it. If I recall, they had a mic on the cab, one 3ft away, and another one down the hall to catch the acoustics that make that hall reverb effect.
      It was done to try to simulate how it would sound at a live show. I must say it worked, that album still stands as one studio album that has one of the best live vibes to it.

So panned on the on the bass side of the recording, you hear the mic placement of guitar that was down the hall, far away with bass prominent..panned opposite, you hear it as it was from 3ft away, guitar hot and bass less prominent.

As stated...
      A. Punk intro is definitely phaser, hi gain, using the palm of his hand.
      Ain't talkin is flange kicked in and out..he probably did have the phase on a slow sweep for portions of that other than the solo but I believe I never thought of that until mentioned. Dialing the slapback just right for the intro I felt was key in attempting to simulate the punchiness.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        With all the hype surounding the release of the new MXR phase 90, I went back and really listend to my Van Halen CD.

I don' know if it's me, but it seems like he has this thing on most of the time, not just on leads. With the exception of a few tunes like Runnin with the Devil and one or two others, IT really sounded to me like his Rythm tone had this kind of swoosh to it.

Which brings me to another question, which parts on the record are the Phase 90, and which are the MXR FLanger.

I got the new EVH phase 90, and it really does nail most of the tones on there, but there are a few I just could never get with my phase 90, or the sorry Boss Flanger that I have.

One is the intro to Aint talkin bout love. Is it phase or flange, I have asked this ? many times and I keep getting different answers. If it is the phase 90, how the hell do you set it cause even with one knob , I couldn't get it.

And what about the begining to Atomic Punk ? I can't tell if he just cranked up the phaser a bit for these sounds compared to the Rytyhm tones or if they are Flange.

There are definately some parts in On Fire that sound like a Flanger, but not sure about solo.

If anyone knows this stuff, please tell me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

EDDIE used his phase 90 for all lead parts he said it gave him better "cut" in the mix.
        he also used it for "dance the night away" where he is tapping the chords out and on the "atomic punk" intro
        the MXR flanger was used on many things like the intro to "unchained" he used it when he dived the trem bar, used it for a lot of stuff, you can hear the difference between it and the phase 90 it has a ring modulator type tone to it and the phase 90 only has the swirl effect
        post the tune you want to know about i i can tell ya what he used [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Rich,

I know what you mean about having time to fool with my toys, I have gotten some eally great new sounds, but then I think, what good is it. I know this is a personal problem that I am just gonna have to get through [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

But I remember that you were one of the guys who was in my thread when I was first trying out for that band, learning the solo to Crazy Train, so you know how happy I was to finnally get into a band after years of waiting, now I'm in the same spot.

Problem is, here is Delaware, the lack of people who can play anything is terribly diminishing. Clubs are going to Dj's and there really isn't anywhere to play if you do have a band. It totally sucks! But this belongs in another thread. Sorry guys!

Kickinsomeaxe,

I don't know how to post clips,ATBL was the main one I was wndering about, BUT I would love to know 1st how to set a flanger to get the Unchained sound and 2nd what and how to set to get that really cool sound that is right before the first verse of Mean Streets.
          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

BUT I would love to know 1st how to set a flanger to get the Unchained sound and 2nd what and how to set to get that really cool sound that is right before the first verse of Mean Streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
            maybe i can help? EVH set his flanger with the REGEN control very high, here take a look at his MXR,

set the regen to about 1-3 "o clock"
            set the speed to minimal sweep(around 7-8 oclock)
            manual is half or 12 o clock
            width at 12 o clock
            you can tailor it from here if you wish [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            his phase 90 was used mostly on minimal speed(all the way down) hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

A good source for getting VH sounds is jfrocks2.com.
              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
              X