Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG 85 a discussion

[ QUOTE ]
    To me, they sound like a classic humbucker with a bit of a modern flavor/twist to them. It seemed like they had a near perfect balance of medium-hot output, fatness, and "alive" character to them that I still haven't found in a passive pickup yet

[/ QUOTE ]

A fresh palate and light, fruity bouquet too! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I'll always have a couple of EMG-equipped axes in the arsenal. Variety, that's the key.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Harrold, you cannot really compare the EMG's in the 750 with the Dimarzios in the Model 6. That 750 you have isn't the same guitar, different in may ways from the Model 6. Try the Dimarzio in the 750 and the EMG's in the Model 6 then tell us what happens.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If you're looking for blistering high gain distorted active pickups, try the Seymour Duncan Metal Zone Live Wires... I had those in my Charvel Model A, and I have a little Boss practice amp at work... it's the only set of pickups that have ever caused that little amp to feedback, even at really low volume.... they literally blew me away. They're just WAY too much gain for me, especially in a band situation, but it was fun to practice on and sounded good.

[/ QUOTE ]How's the low end?

Comment

The bridge was somewhere between an 81 and 85 on steroids. It had a really nice tonal band. Good deep lows, crunchy mids and blistering highs. Think EMG in 18v with a PA2 or Afterburner going through an overdrive. They made a lot more noise than an EMG, but had over the top distortion. Edgy like a serrated knife. Counting both the neck and bridge, a little more versatile range than an EMG combo, but not necessarily in a better way.

If it helps, I liked the tone better than the standard JB or Distortion pickups, but they were much more noisy and literally had too much gain. I'm a all knobs to the max type of guy, and this one neededd a little rolling back.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

LAWRENCE 500XL! best passive i have heard on disc [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              sounds like a 81 but has a better bass response [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I just replaced my stock Jackson PU's in my 650XL with EMG's (85 in the bridge). Compared to the EMG 89 in my San Dimas "copy", the 85 is over the top. I can't believe the output differences but they both sound really good for live rock. I had the KH system with an EMG 81 in my Jackson Dinky Rev and it was too piercing and suited to only metal.

Comment

I never liked the BL500XL it has way too much mids for me.. it sounds like it honks. Personally, I think it's one of the most overrated pickups out there.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I gotta go with the EMG 85's. Just a more rounded sound and very easy to get harmonics. The lack of noise also is a big plus in my book. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X