No announcement yet.

Why alder for guitars with tremolos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why alder for guitars with tremolos?

[ QUOTE ]
    ActionJackson writes...."Jackson seems to follow this model. In the USA series, everything with a Floyd is alder (except for the SL2H MAH) and all the fixed bridge guitars are mahogany. Interestingly, the KV2 with Floyd is alder, but the KV2T sans Floyd is mahogany."
    AJ-You forgot that the PC1 Model (Signature Series)has a Mahogany body with a Quilt Maple cap and a OFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shreddermon pointed that out in a previous post. I was looking on the company website under "USA Select Series" and the PC1 is under "Artist Sig Series", but I realize that the PC1 is made in the USA as well.

Comment

bump

Comment

I have a Ibanez S series made of mahogany with a floyd and it sounds killer and i seem to have no problems.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          do you guys notice a difference tonally between northern and swamp ash? i've only checked out the northern variety so far, and am curious.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]
          yeah sully the northern is brighter and tighter toned than the swamp ash and is close to maple. the swap ash is less dense and weighs less as well.
          I prefer NORTHERN ASH [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm late coming back to this thread but, I agree with the above quotes. Northern Ash is closer to Maple, but not as "stiff' sounding, and Swamp Ash is warmer, lighter, more resonant. My favorite guitar wood!

Comment

my charvel sd3w is mahogany with a wilkinson.

Comment

I have grown to realize that I don't like Ash, Maple, Alder or Poplar for guitar bodies. They're all relatively thin and bright in the upper frequencies to slightly warm in tone in the mids... fast attack and response, but without a lot of the low and lower mids presence that I find myself really digging... I do like how they clearly cut through the mix better than Mahogany, Korina or Koa, but I also like how the darker voiced woods sound when adding lower harmonies... it really adds a touch of depth to me.

Even after playing many years, I didn't really start to realize this until this past year, where I had some actual band rehearsal time with the different guitars I used to own.

I'm still learning, and my latest custom shop order is pretty much a departure from standard Jackson tone woods, and an experiment of sorts with the mahogany/mahogany/ebony and an EMG 85. Perhaps this will be dark, and maybe lacking a little definition, but I think it should sound pretty heavy, and different than the standard thrash/heavy metal tone Jacksons are so wonderful at attaining. I'm looking for something a bit more darker with good growl, and not as "plucky" as the typical maple/poplar or maple/alder guitars that Jackson produces so well.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm still learning, and my latest custom shop order is pretty much a departure from standard Jackson tone woods, and an experiment of sorts with the mahogany/mahogany/ebony and an EMG 85. Perhaps this will be dark, and maybe lacking a little definition, but I think it should sound pretty heavy, and different than the standard thrash/heavy metal tone Jacksons are so wonderful at attaining. I'm looking for something a bit more darker with good growl, and not as "plucky" as the typical maple/poplar or maple/alder guitars that Jackson produces so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

My BW 7 string is mahogany/mahogany/ebony with a maple top, EMG 707 sounds killer - awesome on leads. I still prefer the maple neck/alder winged Tribal RR for rhythms though...
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Working...
                X