No announcement yet.

any passive pups that sound like a 81?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: any passive pups that sound like a 81?

I agree with the X2N. I had one in an old Kramer and it was the hottest output pickup I've had. I think it sounds better than any EMG. But, that's just me. I prefer passive over active.

Comment

RUNE the 2 i mentioned were both maple neck, maple body w/ rosewood boards. BTW dont believe all the specs. i recently put an old invader in a soloists, its got less output & is far better sounding than i expected. the stock jackson single coils actually had to be lowered to match the invader. Tho i do like my pickups further away from the strings than most people.

Comment

cool. you mention a "newer one" and "older one", were those age differences attributed to the different guitars or have they changed the spec of the x2n over the years?

Comment

you really just need an APC persauder lead.
          the PL far surpasses every pup mentioned here in every way.
          and can be tonally shaped by adjusting the hight on each side.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            you really just need an APC persauder lead.
            the PL far surpasses every pup mentioned here in every way.
            and can be tonally shaped by adjusting the hight on each side.

[/ QUOTE ]
            any bands that use the PL or clips of the PL?
            I was looking over this site and it seems that these are a well kept secret?

Comment

How much do apc:s cost in the states?
              I just found a place in sweden that sells them for about half the price of what new duncans/dimarzio:s costs here!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                How much do apc:s cost in the states?
                I just found a place in sweden that sells them for about half the price of what new duncans/dimarzio:s costs here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You should be the European JCF "middleman" for the European JCFers who are interested in these APCs. You could make a little profit too... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here they cost about the price of regular aftermarket pickups, so I thought that I should try them out. About a dozen or more North American JCFers are currently involved in a big order coordinated by Dreamland_Rebel and Joel Drabicki who live close enough to Mel Lace who winds the pickups himself.

Comment

Unfotunally i don´t think you could make a profit, it´s just the other pickups that are so damn expensive, like 160 Us dollars for regular duncans/dimarzios [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] Í´m pretty temted to try one of the apc:s out though,but alot of the models was not in stock, I hope they get more...

Comment

they don't keep stock. his pups are made as soon as they are paid for. you have to pay and then wait for them.

but its well worth it!
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well, this place had them, but SOME of the models were out of stock.
                      But could someone please recommend me a hot humbucker set, and how would it sound?

Comment

Sunbane's Swedish-to-English translation of some of the APC pickups:

-------------------

I did a translation of that swedish webpage for those who are interested, but I only bothered to translate the Humphree Singlecoils and the Humbuckers.

Note: Keep in mind that this is a translation of a translation (and i don't know what info is from the product sheets and what is just the swedish retailer's opinion), so I can't make any guarantees about the accuracy of the information.

quote:

INTER-PHASE PICKUPS give you brilliance and clarity. Some models have high or very high output signal with preserved treble, which so far has been impossible for passive pickups. (Note: Anyone else who thinks this smells like bull****? X2N anyone?) You can adjust INTER-PHASE PICKUPS very close to the strings without having the magnetic fields affect the vibrations of the strings (no "string pull"). You simply get better sustain. When doing powerful string bending, you never run the risk of ending up outside the receptive area of a magnetic pole, since the magnetic fields are spread out over the entire length of the pickup. INTER-PHASE PICKUPS are quiet and hum free and some models (Humphree) are even very quiet and very hum free. These pickups are offered with a range of different tones, from the traditional single coil sound, to the most sought-after humbucking sound of the 50's.

IMPORTANT: Some bridges have very wide string spacing. Make sure you have at least 7mm between your 1st string (E1) and the edge of your pickups for a balanced tone reception with APC Single Coil Pickups.

HUMPHREE - Single Coils

Model

100 - Virtually insensitive to electric and magnetic interference. When you demand a totally clear, balanced "true single coil tone without the noise". Recommended position: Neck/middle

200 - Has the quietness and clarity of the 100, but is calibrated to give a little stronger output with emphasis on the mid-range register. Recommended position: Neck/middle

300 - "Hot, full range HUMPHREE" gives you maximum attack and sustain, while it brings out the harmonic overtones and a high output signal. Recommended position: middle/bridge

400 - "Mr. Punchy". Extremely high output signal and low hum level makes this pickup the choice of the pro's. Perfect for both clean and distortion. Recommended position: bridge

DUAL COIL HUMBUCKERS

All pickups are built with 4 shielded leads for split coil, phase control and series/parallell operation. Specify white or black covers when ordering.

Model

Persuader SC - Humbucking in single coil format. Powerful, "punchy" and rich with overtones. Recommended position: bridge (NOTE: NOT YET AVAILABLE)

Persuader Lead - Powerful "over the edge" signal. Designed specifically for the lead guitarist. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead Custom - Full highs, strong middle and full lows. Similar to Persuader Lead, but with stronger lows. Recommended position: bridge

Felony X - "This is it, we did it!" The sought-after 50's humbucking sound is here. Thick and clear for everything from blues to metal. Recommended position: neck

Malice - Especially designed for those who want a "phatter" humbucking sound. Classically tight response with strong mids and a loud output signal. Recommended position: neck

Syrinx - Like Malice, but with a finely balanced magnetic structure, resulting in a "medium output pickup" with prominent highs, thick bass and a "soft hang". (Note: Don't ask me what they mean with "soft hang". Sounds perverted.) Recommended position: neck

Sunbane

---------------------------

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          INTER-PHASE PICKUPS give you brilliance and clarity. Some models have high or very high output signal with preserved treble, which so far has been impossible for passive pickups. (Note: Anyone else who thinks this smells like bull****? X2N anyone?)

[/ QUOTE ]
                          The X2N definitely has more treble, but it's got good mids and low end, also. It's a great pup to also split into single-coil mode because it has such high output. The higher output the humbucker, the better single-coil sound you'll get when split. I've always thought it was similar in sound to an 81, just more output. The 81 is also good on low end... my Hamer sounded better with two 81s than with the original JB/'59 combo that came with it. A '59 is great in just about any guitar, but can be a little muddy at times, and the JB was lacking some low end, IMO. The 81 had chunky low end in the bridge and was bright enough to not be muddy in the neck. Then again, I usually prefer the 85 in the bridge.
                          As for passive pups, I'd go DiMarzios... Super 2 in the neck with either an X2N or regular Super Distortion in the bridge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            INTER-PHASE PICKUPS give you brilliance and clarity. Some models have high or very high output signal with preserved treble, which so far has been impossible for passive pickups. (Note: Anyone else who thinks this smells like bull****? X2N anyone?)

[/ QUOTE ]
                            The X2N definitely has more treble, but it's got good mids and low end, also. It's a great pup to also split into single-coil mode because it has such high output. The higher output the humbucker, the better single-coil sound you'll get when split. I've always thought it was similar in sound to an 81, just more output. The 81 is also good on low end... my Hamer sounded better with two 81s than with the original JB/'59 combo that came with it. A '59 is great in just about any guitar, but can be a little muddy at times, and the JB was lacking some low end, IMO. The 81 had chunky low end in the bridge and was bright enough to not be muddy in the neck. Then again, I usually prefer the 85 in the bridge.
                            As for passive pups, I'd go DiMarzios... Super 2 in the neck with either an X2N or regular Super Distortion in the bridge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            you have me wanting to at least try the X2N/super II set now! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            i looked over the specs of the X2N and it is the same dual bar poles and ceramic magnet that the 81 has,only it is passive.
                            it has 510 millivolts though which is a A$$ kicker for a passive model [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Another passive humbucker that's been reported to sound like the EMG81 is the Quadrail pickup that comes stock in a lot of MusicYo Kramers! You can probably get these cheap off eBay also.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I skimmed the post ... not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but the EMG-HZ H4 is supposed to be the passive 81.

From EMGs site:

"The H4 is the equivalent of EMG's 81 Active Pickup without the "Active". It uses two bar-loaded coils for that "Balls to the Walls" tone. The EMG-H4 pickup has become the bridge pickup of choice for the ESP Guitar Company. All HZ Pickups have EMG's exclusive 5-wire quik-connect output allowing any number of wiring combinations, and are fully shielded for a minimum of noise. String grounding is recommended to further decrease noise."

I've only had experience with the H3s, which come with Jackson MG series guitars, but a lot of LTDs come with the H4s, so maybe someone here knows how they sound.
                                My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
                                X