Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Gotoh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Go

I knew it... [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah there's one in every.....well, 2 or 3 these days [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Is it Warmoth or StewMac that carries the conversion TOM posts that convert like one insert thread size to a different post size or something?
      Anyhoo, it's supposed to keep you from plugging and redrilling for different Tunamatic posts/inserts.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

See, I'm a floating trem weenie for life, so I never understood why the damn TOM and tailpiece would fall off a guitar when the strings were off. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Aren't they supposed to be heavily bolted to the body? Seemed kind of weird because they're supposed to transfer vibration/tone efficiently... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here is the page for Warmoth's Les Paul Showcase bodies:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_g...amp;menuItem=4

So, they come drilled but bridge hardware must be purchased separately. They give you bridge recommendations, most of them falling under the Gotoh TOM category, the rest falling under the floating trem weenie category. So, I was just wondering if I could buy a Warmoth Les Paul body and slap in a TonePros system, but I guess not, judging by Charvelguy's very informative response. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Hmm, yeah, maybe a better solution would be to "custom order" a Warmoth Les Paul body so that it would have TonePros spacing. Then I could get whatever other features I needed done anyways, such as making the body compatible with a 24.75" scale neck! Not enough of the bodies are made for short-scale... I hate that! That and the fact that there's no headstock binding, but that's a different thread... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It makes no amplified tonal difference if the stopbar or bridge are screwed flush against the body. That sort of thing would only affect the acoustic properties of the guitar, and if you're playing an electric guitar acoustically, you either have a mental disorder or you're too broke to afford even a cheap amp, in which case you can't be an advanced enough player to worry about whether or not you're getting "the best possible tone".

Pickups don't pick up the vibrations from the body - just the strings, so the bridge and tailpiece can be unscrewed to their highest points and it will not affect the amplified results (as long as the pickups are close enough to the strings, obviously).

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've always correlated unplugged acoustic tone to great electric tone. The bright, shimmering, sustaining quality of the strings is affected by the woods used, how solid the bridge and other key components are (basically, everything [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), and things like that - build quality and quality of the components.

Not to attack you (you know me by now that I like being jovial [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) but you might as well buy a guitar made out of plastic, with a bridge made out of cotton and a nut made out of marshmallow to see if you get the same great sound using the same steel strings and pickups/electronics. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Otherwise, why would people make a big deal out of mahogany VS alder, TOM vs "tone-sucking" Floyd, brass nut vs plastic nut, and stuff like that? Sure, the point of an electric guitar is to MINIMIZE unwanted vibrations of an acoustic guitar by making it SOLIDBODIED, allowing the full tone of the STRINGS to come through, but the other little things matter too. Just like an acoustic guitar, the soundboard (top) makes the biggest difference in tone, followed by the back/side woods and other components.

Comment

I always will judge an electric by its acoustical characteristics/qualities first before plugging anything in.

I often play an electric w/o an amp too just cause I cannot disturb the neighbors. I really dig my 335 for doing this.. so where is my straightjacket?

Those are some nice LP bodies on there. The Koa is sweet as is the checkerboard.

Comment

wow, they're blowing out some of those parts. I have had my eye on this strat body for quite some time and they finally reduced it to where I'd be nuts not to buy it.

Comment

Working...
                X