Floyd Copies.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyd Copies.......

I kind of like the Gotoh Floyds. It's the one Peavey used on the Wolfgang and also on any of their US made Floyd equiped guitars. Pretty smooth unit. It's no OFR, but it's good.

If you aren't using a recessed cavity, try an Ibanez Edge. Probably the best "copy" out there. (I don't classify the Schallers as copies since it's the same factory...)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      you should be able to switch the block from the old schaller right in, shouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that block was attached to the baseplate and couldn't be removed? I'll check it out!

Comment

tried to edit my previous post.
        Well, indeed you can loosen that block, cool. = )
        Now I have another 'remark'. I've always found that the saddles of the OFR are different in height. like the D and G saddle are higher than the adjacent ones so the strings form a bow. But my dinky fretboard is rather flat and if I remember well (it's been over 2 years) the Schaller Trem had equal saddles so the strings had the same height (no bow). Could the Schaller saddles be mounted on the OFR?
        And indeed the schaller locking screw are thicker than the OFR ones, I'd tried that already when I'd just swapped the trems.

Comment

Well, a final 'remark', guess I've learned a lot now. Thank you for all the advice, everybody. sorry if I changed the meaning of the original topic.

I've replaced the block and I've also got the answer to my question above. Seems you have 3 pairs of equal saddles, slightly different in size. In the OFR, there was even an extra (small) metal plate to elevate the 4 inner saddles a little more. I've removed it and now it's much easier to play. I could close the back of my guitar again due to the shorter block. Guess I originally had the 590 recessed trem and have encountered the same problem as you described in your Tremolo Info Project, Jackson1. I'll look for another baseplate but for now I'll manage. A pitty about the longer locking screws, though.
          So strange that a problem with a FR can decrease the love for a certain guitar. I no longer had the feeling I was playing with a top-quality guitar, due to the bad adjustment of the FR.

Thanks everybody!!

Comment

YOu should be able to use the OFR screws on the schaller, but not vice-versa. The schaller should have the "bullet" type and the OFR has the regular cap head screws. As for the shims under the saddles, you can buy them from various parts dealers to individually adjust the relative height of each saddle.

Comment

Working...
            X