Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking Nuts : Are they really required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Locking Nuts : Are they really required?

[ QUOTE ]
    The most stable setup available w/o a locking nut consists of a good set of locking tuners, a roller nut, & a tremsetter. It's still not as good as a locking nut but is way better than anything else I've tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Yeah, Ive seen those.

Its not really a tone thing, I just dont like to mess with them, you have to use an allen wrench when they go out of tune.

Im debating whether or not to just drop the floyd idea and just go with a standard vintage strat tremolo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to use an allen wrench. You can get the locking screws with a standard slot for either a screwdriver or a dime. They also make flip up type locks. I don't see the hassle of having to use an allen wrench to unlock the nut. The benefit of a double locking Floyd far outweighs the hassle of having to use an allen wrench. You have to use one at the bridge anyway. Also, I just don't see the point of using locking tuners, roller or graphite nuts, lube etc.. to get the performance of a standard ENGINEERED for a Floyd Rose locking nut. The other point to ponder regarding a graphite nut is when you have to change string gauges. Unless a graphite nut is perfectly cut and lubed for a specific string gauge, the strings will bind up in it. In other words, If you are a heavy bar user and your guitar is strung with 9's and you switch to 10's you will have even more tuning problems than what you will already have without using a locking nut. There is no getting around it. The Floyd Rose SYSTEM is unbeatable (unless you are comparing it to the Ibanez Low Pro!!) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Plus, the Floyds rarely need tuning. I check mine at each rehersal, gig, etc. I almost never need to move anything. It's always in. I've even taken the springs out of the back and removed the bridge (lock nut and strings still in place) I would change a pickup or something, put it back together and it would need minor tuning if even any at all.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Also, I just don't see the point of using locking tuners, roller or graphite nuts, lube etc.. to get the performance of a standard ENGINEERED for a Floyd Rose locking nut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that locking nut does make those first-fret bends a lot tougher.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But honestly I do understand it for aesthetic reasons. E.g., I like the look of this guitar better without the big clunky locking nut.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I did play a jackson 4x2 headstocked AT1 with floating wilkinson trem and sprezels .. I pounded it and it did stay in tune pretty damn good...obviously not like a lock nut , but I really put the screws to it trying to make er go out.........I shouldve bought that damn thing it was trans green and brand new $625 what a dip **** I was for not jumpin on it.. they couldnt give it away and it sat for nearly 3 yrs, then when I finally was ready to go play it again, it was gone !..................continuing on this flip top locknut thing.. I know kahler had one for behind the nut, I have one new in the package [not for sale] , but I know someone made a nice camlock aftermarket floyd locknut way back ..who was that , I know read something about it in the mags back in the day...? I always wanted a couple of those... john

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              ...but I know someone made a nice camlock aftermarket floyd locknut way back ..who was that , I know read something about it in the mags back in the day...? I always wanted a couple of those... john

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Edwards Finger-Tite Locking Nut. I have one on my San Dimas Soloist. It works great, exactly as advertised.

Unfortunately, Kahler and others ripped off his idea with inferior imitations that didn't work as well. And the overall negative stigma they created on the non-allen wrench set-up idea killed off the original, too.

I wish they were still being made. I'd buy one for every Floyd I own. It was a great, quality product that works as well as the original Floyd's locking nut.

Comment

hmmm, i leave the locknuts on my floyded guitars off or loose. i dont do much whammy tricks the occasional dive bomb some warble stuff, & it stays in tune just fine. & thats without locking tuners

Comment

P.S.- YAO, love the looks of that strat. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Nice one.

Comment

Working...
                  X