Non recessed floyd question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non recessed floyd question.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't play live, so breaking a string and having my trems going out of tune means nothing to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No desire to play live, plus all the best musicians in town are already in steady bands, plus guitar has always been and always will be a hobby for me. You might consider me a waste. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't gig anymore, but I don't think I have ever broken a string at a gig in my life. If your strings are new and clean, and your guitar setup properly, it is highly unlikely that you'll break a string, so I don't even consider that an issue.

Yes, you can dive bomb, but you lose a lot of the benefits of a Floyd if you don't let it float. You can't raise pitch; you can't do a true vibrato, you can't flutter (at least not as well/easily). If the only thing I'm going to gain is I won't break a string, that strikes me as a poor trade-off because in all likelihood I am not going to break a string anyway.

Comment

In all likelihood, I RARELY break strings also, but lately, bending the high E string from 21 to 24 (biggest and toughest practical bend I think I've had to do so far) has been causing me to change strings a wee bit more frequently now... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Damn Satriani stuff... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think I will just hold the 21st fret and pull up on the Floyd... that might be easier (read: CHEATING [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) for my playing too... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuckracer: great tutorial

Hotrod: I assume your Wolfgang has the D-Tuna? The Wolfgang's floyd is resting on the body because a) Eddie always had his floyd set up for down-bend only, and b) in order for the D-Tuna to work in switching from E to D without affecting the tuning of all the other strings, the floyd has to be the "floyd blocked, only down-bends" type of set up.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yeah, I did debate over posting this and asking the question. I figured it would quickly turn into a "why people block floyds" thread and then to a "blocked vs. unblocked" debate [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I simply prefer blocked trems and fully understand why people do block them. I've just never had a Strat/Charvel type guitar with a non recessed floyd before and assumed they were all set to rest on the body. All of my floyded guitars have been recessed and I've just blocked them. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to with this and with Chuck's excellent tutorial [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img], I may not have to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Comment

There are three recessing levels, as far as I know...

-42mm sustain block = non-recessed Floyd, like on the Shannons and other older Jacksons. You can pull up and push down on the bar.
              -37mm sustain block = semi-recessed Floyd, like on the Wolfgangs (I think). It sits on the body, so it's suited for divebombs and I don't believe you can pull up very much, if any at all, on them.
              -32mm sustain block = recessed Floyd, like on the current Jacksons. You can pull up and push down on the bar. I think Steve Vai was the man responsible for recessing a trem so that it would sit lower on the body to aid his picking hand. Before, the trem sat high and he had a piece of foam stuck to his guitar near the forearm contour in order to elevate his picking forearm.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                What kind of guitar? Make/Model/Year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackson/JDR-94/1994.

Comment

Working...
                X