X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggest a neck heel strap lock alternative for my Randy Rhoads

Hello everyone,
    (happy new year btw)

I recently bought a modified Jackson RR, of what seems to be an RR3 of the early 2000's or 1997, the one with the mirror pickguard - gotta check the neck print for the date- (modified as in: floyd replaced with tunomatic bridge, repainted body and headstock, neck painted over, neck pickup removed, locking tuners added) it didn't have strap buttons so I decided to do a little research and get something of quality in the locking strap department. I went with the Schaller S locks, but the problem is as I've found out later, they are too long, I couldn't get bothered that much by the one at the fin, but the one at the back of the neck heel... well it pierces through my fat belly .... I don't know if other people that are owners of V's, RR's, SG's, guitars in general with neck-heel strap buttons, have the same issue or is it just me and the way I want to play the guitar (plus my fat belly does exist), but I really want it tight with my body

so here is my question: is there a quality strap lock that is not that long, so that I won't feel it against my belly ? I am open to other options besides strap locks

disclaimer: I don't actively use strap locks. the ones I have used in the past (dunlop, schaller, etc.) have all been "long"

dunlop does make a "flush mount" strap lock which is I think about the same external profile (when strapped in) as a normal strap button, but it requires modification to the body (drilling a 3/8" hole 1/2" deep) to accommodate the recessed receptacle for the lock. since the guitar is so heavily modified anyway, this might not be an issue.

the easiest option would be to use a normal strap button plus those cheap rubber washers. there are plenty who make/sell them. here's an example: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-blocks-4-pack. I think they're pretty solid with most strap buttons, but for added security you can use a wide-type strap button like found on '80s jacksons/charvels (see: https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Hardwa..._files/394.jpg)

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      disclaimer: I don't actively use strap locks. the ones I have used in the past (dunlop, schaller, etc.) have all been "long"

dunlop does make a "flush mount" strap lock which is I think about the same external profile (when strapped in) as a normal strap button, but it requires modification to the body (drilling a 3/8" hole 1/2" deep) to accommodate the recessed receptacle for the lock. since the guitar is so heavily modified anyway, this might not be an issue.

the easiest option would be to use a normal strap button plus those cheap rubber washers. there are plenty who make/sell them. here's an example: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-blocks-4-pack. I think they're pretty solid with most strap buttons, but for added security you can use a wide-type strap button like found on '80s jacksons/charvels (see: https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Hardwa..._files/394.jpg)
      thank you friend for answering

so about the first option I somehow didn't think of visiting the Schaller website ,I ruled off the option of buying directly from them because it falsely paired in my mind with massive shipping costs, but Schaller is based in Europe so I should have thought that it wouldn't cost that much (I live in Greece).

Anyway I went to their site and it turns out that I have bought the medium version (M) of the S Locks (too bad the don't put that M in their crystal casing) , but whether it's medium , large or small, it refers mainly to the thickness of the screw, yes there is a difference in length, but especially in my case it is negligible. Going from medium to small it's only 4mm difference (from 22mm to 18mm). The "piercing my belly" problem seems to come from the locking mechanism's length which seems to remain the same throughout all their sizes.....please correct me if I'm wrong though

yeah I've thought of buying the washers, but maybe an oversized strap button might be the best option for me to go. Watched a video about the whole strap lock thing at the Warmoth Youtube channel and this seems to be the simplest and greatest option, which for some reason guitar companies don't seem to incorporate when they build a guitar. It's almost what you suggested to me about those wider jackson/charvel ones, except those charvel/jackson ones have that angled design that will help a strap slide out of its way, while the oversized is just a simple strap button without that angle... pretty simple right?

Now the only problem would be where to buy them from, they don't seem to be around even in big Europe stores, not to even think about local shops... I think that maybe Gotoh makes one, it's called EP B3... also Gotoh strap lock could be a locking option.. maybe I'll email Gotoh to find out ... the EP B3 are about 17mm wide so it must be oversized

thank you man
      Last edited by vampire dark; 01-02-2024, 02:02 PM.

Comment

DiMarzio ClipLock Straps.
        The screw remains much lower than any Schaller-type attachment. Completely different system, they don't have that long tip.

https://www.thomann.de/it/dimarzio_c...rap_dd2200.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post
          DiMarzio ClipLock Straps.
          The screw remains much lower than any Schaller-type attachment. Completely different system, they don't have that long tip.

https://www.thomann.de/it/dimarzio_c...rap_dd2200.htm
          thank you very much friend, yes I've seen them, but I'll prefer the Gotoh EP B3 it's an oversized strap button

Comment

I've always liked the Dunlop Dual Design Straploks, but I've never tried one on a Rhoads body as I never could gel with that body type. All my guitars get the Dunlop Dual Designs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
              I've always liked the Dunlop Dual Design Straploks, but I've never tried one on a Rhoads body as I never could gel with that body type. All my guitars get the Dunlop Dual Designs though.
              yeah many people seem to do, but I've read about them that they seem to fail on some people at some point in time,

about the Rhoads shape, it depends on some things, when sitting: if you place the small fin somewhere where it is supported (say a chair,or the bed) then you can play easily, if you don't do that you will need a strap to keep it in place, when standing: that's another story if you'll vibe with the shape, I like it cause it's very lightweight.

Comment

Working...
              X