Headstock logo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock logo question

When you guys are building your own guitars and have your own waterslide decals created how do you get the edges of the waterslide decal to not be noticeable after clearcoat? Is there some sort of a solution like some of the model car hobbyist use that will help this problem? Trying to avoid having to do 14 or 15 clear coats on something.

never done waterslides on a guitar but for modeling what you're looking for is "decal softener." generally it's mixed in with the water you use to soak the decal before application. I would try it with a spare decal on a blank surface before doing it for real.

white vinegar is known to have a softening effect as well. some say it works as well as decal softener. I've never made a direct comparison.

note that the softener will not make the edges disappear nor make the decal thinner, but will round out the sharpness. you should still try to make sure the decal is cut cleanly if it's not die cut already
    Last edited by metalhobo; 02-20-2023, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I did a very nice Charvel toothepaste logo on a black headstock. First may sure the painted surface to get the decal is smooth and glossy so that you won't have fogging of the decal clear. Then bury it under a bunch of clear coats.

I did a Jackson logo after on a wood headstock (PC-1 style neck) but that one had a little ghosting if you look at a certain angle.

I've done other logos as well.

I should get some of the decal softener. It would likely help.

Comment

Working...
      X