No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 5fx Sounds Thin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about the "gain loss" but I have a similar problem with my Charvel 550xl, basically the same guitar strung up 9 - 42. Very bright, thin, and focused sounding. Sounds good but not as heavy as other guitars. Tried all kinds of pickups in it and nothing has amazed me yet. Good luck, hopefully your next swap yields better results, otherwise I'd say go back to the 85 if you're missing it's tone.

Comment

*UPDATE* Took my Charvel Model 5FX this morning to guitar repair shop and said they've never encountered a EMG pickup that went bad but could not rule that out and they then plugged it in through an amp briefly and then suggested I get a new Switchcraft short shaft 3-way toggle switch, new EMG wiring kit, 1 - EMG volume pot, 1 - EMG tone pot and new EMG stereo output jack.

Comment

I think replacing all the electronics in it like they suggested is a good plan if you're sure you want the emg in it.

Comment

Might aswell get a new pickup while at it. Dont they come with all that stuff except for maybe the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
            Might aswell get a new pickup while at it. Dont they come with all that stuff except for maybe the switch.
            I've thought about just getting a new EMG-81 cause it comes with the wiring etc. But I've debated if I wanted more versatility being able to go to single coil in the bridge pickup or not? I was reading up on the EMG-81TW, EMG-89R and EMG-57TW and some people said those pickups should fit my Charvel's bridge pickup cavity but I wonder how any of those would sound? I'm pretty sure the slant neck single coil is an EMG-SA although I've never removed it and the logo color is worn off.

Comment

Working...
            X