Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cases

always a perennial topic...

I'm looking for a case for my parts strat. for taking to shows around town and the occasionally on the road. low-profile is a plus: I have to fit this plus a backup, 2 4x12s and two heads in my little car. a normal sized case is fine; a big huge ATA case is not.

Honestly my ideal case is a g&g. they actually have some stuff in stock right now (https://g-g-quality-case.myshopify.c...trat-tele-case) that I would buy in a heartbeat, but the cheapest shipping option on their site is USPS Priority (for a case? wtf?) which is like $130 to the east coast. fuck that

a few years ago I wouldn't hesitate to buy an skb molded case, either, but I'm pretty sure they're all made in china now so that's a no-go.

other than that I have no ideas or clues. since it's a parts strat and I'm anal I'd prefer to not buy a case that has somebody else's logo on the front like fender or jackson.

I always thought those tkl endbound cases looked nice but the prices these days are ridiculous.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 04-04-2022, 04:21 PM.

I think gator cases are us built.

Comment

Edit; They had a sale on some nice cases the other day for like 79 bucks here's they're cheapest with a quick search and free shipping.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...40948000389000

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gator-gwe-elec-hardshell-electric-guitar-case/546207000001000
      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 04-05-2022, 07:09 AM.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

thanks for the tips, guys. I was eyeing those gator cases too but wasn't sure if they were usa made or not. guess maybe I should try to check them out at gc or something

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
          thanks for the tips, guys. I was eyeing those gator cases too but wasn't sure if they were usa made or not. guess maybe I should try to check them out at gc or something
          https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ic-guitar-case
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

About – Gator Cases

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
              what about them 200 plus dollars for a parts guitar case?( cheapest is 119 (and is the same as the 99 one)

I'm OG from Indiana- not as in gangster~

Columbia City, Indiana
              In 2014, Gator moved into a new state of the art manufacturing and distribution facility in Columbia City, Indiana. With over 180,000 square feet of dedicated space, Gator is poised to continue expanding manufacturing and offer best in class distribution.
              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 04-07-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

metalhobo was not sure if they were us made.
                Last edited by paranoid; 04-11-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Personal opinion on cases -
                  If you are loading your own gear into your own car, your probably don't need as good of a case as you think.
                  In fact, one band I was in, the gear was so perfectly packed in the car, that I used gig bags for two guitars. I wouldn't do that today with my different rig and different car. But that particular combination made me feel safe.
                  *probably worth noting: being younger. getting guitars for free. probably allowed me to take risks I wouldn't take today However, those last two guitars wouldn't fit if they were in cases. That car was arranged like a perfectly played game of Jenga... Zelda? ... what was the game where you put cubes and bars in a row. Either way, the point is, the gear only fit one way. And once it was in, it didn't move.

You need good cases when gear is loaded by someone else, or it goes into a truck.
                  Other people will throw your shit around. Trucks bounce like crazy, and your gear goes with it.
                  Also, I guess worth noting, you may need weather cases. Something that keeps the heat and humidity from getting inside the case.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    Personal opinion on cases -
                    If you are loading your own gear into your own car, your probably don't need as good of a case as you think.
                    In fact, one band I was in, the gear was so perfectly packed in the car, that I used gig bags for two guitars. I wouldn't do that today with my different rig and different car. But that particular combination made me feel safe.
                    *probably worth noting: being younger. getting guitars for free. probably allowed me to take risks I wouldn't take today However, those last two guitars wouldn't fit if they were in cases. That car was arranged like a perfectly played game of Jenga... Zelda? ... what was the game where you put cubes and bars in a row. Either way, the point is, the gear only fit one way. And once it was in, it didn't move.
                    tetris

yeah that's my experience too. I put back seat down, and then the two 4x12's fit on their side and that leaves just about enough room for the two guitar cases wedged in between them and the door. then the heads fit behind the cabs. like tetris

the cases in my mind are more to keep beer and leaky roof water from dripping on stuff at the place than to do any real protection in transit.
                    Last edited by metalhobo; 04-12-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Tetris. That's the one.

I had an SG (set up for a slide playing) and whatever BCR I would pick up that day, they were both in gig bags and sat on the top of the pile against the room (the foam padding allowed it to squeeze in the space). But my main BCRs, and the Jackson/Carvin/Ovation type of guitars were in cases. I never had stacks/cabs to worry about. But I did have two keyboards to deal with... and the stand would go up the middle from the trunk resting right between the two front seats. But not far enough to interfere with... let's just say that if I had a passenger who wanted to say thanks for a good show.

But that was then. Today, my gear doesn't really sit well in any of the cars. I am not even a fan of buying/selling gear, because these cars just weren't designed for gear. Anytime that requires me to put gear in the car, I am always taking 'packing material' to keep it from sliding around.

Comment

update...

I was randomly looking at the g&g site last week and saw that they were selling "factory second" strat cases for $65 (now since sold out). even better, they were offering $60 ground shipping from the website. so $125 shipped for the case. I figured why not and pulled the trigger. it's not a steal or anything, but it's a decent price for what I have experience with as being a good case. and it's available NOW.
                        https://g-g-quality-case.myshopify.c...knockdown-case

I just got it delivered today. there are literally two tiny flaws in it. a pinpoint nick in the binding, and a dime-sized spot where the tolex had ripped and been glued. there are also a couple tiny holes probably where a fender badge used to be.

finally, my girl has a home

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                          update...

I was randomly looking at the g&g site last week and saw that they were selling "factory second" strat cases for $65 (now since sold out). even better, they were offering $60 ground shipping from the website. so $125 shipped for the case. I figured why not and pulled the trigger. it's not a steal or anything, but it's a decent price for what I have experience with as being a good case. and it's available NOW.
                          https://g-g-quality-case.myshopify.c...knockdown-case

I just got it delivered today. there are literally two tiny flaws in it. a pinpoint nick in the binding, and a dime-sized spot where the tolex had ripped and been glued. there are also a couple tiny holes probably where a fender badge used to be.

finally, my girl has a home

Do you have it for sale?

Comment

what for sale? the case?

actually I can categorically provide an answer without really knowing what the question is: no, I don't have anything for sale right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X