Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose FRX Top Mounted Trmeolo onto SLS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose FRX Top Mounted Trmeolo onto SLS?

I was wondering if anyone has successfully mounted an FRX onto a SLS (or SLSMG) and achieved tuning stability? SLSMG is too thin to rout for Floyd Rose.

I have factory nut and tuners and tuning stability is non existent. I have to retune after a few bends. They almost have no wear (Played 20 times total since it was made)
    My Floyd Rose Jacksons never lose tuning, it's crazy.

SLS have a tunomatic bridge with string through body behind it. The FRX works with tunomatic and stoptail. The stoptail is the important thing as the FRX studs screw into the stoptail bushings. There are no stoptail bushings on an SLS, so unless you drill and install those bushings, the FRX won’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
      SLS have a tunomatic bridge with string through body behind it. The FRX works with tunomatic and stoptail. The stoptail is the important thing as the FRX studs screw into the stoptail bushings. There are no stoptail bushings on an SLS, so unless you drill and install those bushings, the FRX won’t work.
      I'm actually sad now, like someone died in my life..
      Do you have any tips to make SLS tuning stable by any chance? What tuners are 1:1 drop-in replacement without drilling or new screw holes? Are there "black" bone nuts that's already cut to same size? Maybe some other string lock gadget?

Comment

tuning tips:

- what strings? are they old? stretched out properly?
        - try the wrap-lock tip on the plain strings (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...g-problems.php)
        - make sure the strings are wrapping around post tightly and compactly
        - if you have too many or too few wraps on the post, this can cause instability
        - make sure the tuning machines are affixed to the headstock tightly
        - check for string binding at the nut
        - put some graphite shavings (from a pencil) in each nut slut under/around the strings

Comment

Originally posted by Babazon View Post

I'm actually sad now, like someone died in my life..
          I have this guitar, so am familiar with the FRX. Sorry for the bad news. I even double checked by reviewing the install instructions on Floyd website before I posted. The FRX is great by the way.
          http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...-CM-Black.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            tuning tips:

- what strings? are they old? stretched out properly?
            - try the wrap-lock tip on the plain strings (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...g-problems.php)
            - make sure the strings are wrapping around post tightly and compactly
            - if you have too many or too few wraps on the post, this can cause instability
            - make sure the tuning machines are affixed to the headstock tightly
            - check for string binding at the nut
            - put some graphite shavings (from a pencil) in each nut slut under/around the strings
            Thank you. I do all of this with all my hardtail guitars already. I even do the wrap around the pole trick for FR guitars. The strings are 1 day old super slinkies, 09.

Does anybody know which black colored locking tuners will fit SLSMG headstock as drop in replacement? I don't want to drill, enlarge, or make new screw holes.

(I can't find black Gotoh SG38s in Germany)

Comment

Working...
            X