Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What strings are you currently using and for what type of music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What strings are you currently using and for what type of music?

So honestly I haven't switched up my strings in a while, (I've changed them, just not brands) I just ordered a set of the David Gilmour signature strings just to use something different. Just curious what strings are peoples go to?

I've been using Ernie Ball (8, 9's and 10's) for decades and I just think it's time to switch to something else to see if I even notice a difference.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I use D'Addario Nickel Wound XL EJ21 Jazz Light Gauge (012-052) for everything. However I tune down half a step.

Comment

I use elixir nanowebs on my electrics with vibrato bridges where the tuning is amenable to the gauges they offer. their gauge sets are not very varied and I don't like buying single strings... 9-46 for various E and Eb guitars, 10-52 for D standard. I like them a lot. nanowebs are definitely the string I've been using longest (probably 11 or 12 years now), just wish they had more sets with varied gauges for downtuning. the sound is a bit less lively than the d'addarios, but the reduced maintenance makes up for that.

on my hardtail ESP M-I tuned to C standard I have d'addario XL 12-60 (EXL-148). I also sometimes tune down this guitar to B or A#, still sounds great. this is one of of my favorite sounding sets of strings. really lively tone and long life for an uncoated string. plain third which I like on a big set.

on my kahlered Jackson, tuned to C standard as well, I use SIT power wound S1254 (12-54). this is also a really good sounding string. the SITs are supposed to have increased tuning stability on non-locking or nut-locking bridge systems like the kahler or vtrem.

on my american original '50s strat I have thomastik-infeld js112 flatwounds, 12-50. truly amazing if you like flatwounds.

on my acoustic I have d'addario 12-56 phosphor bronze, EJ17. I cannot get along with elixirs on acoustic. these have decent life and are the best sounding value-range strings I've tried.

on my 32" scale bass I have la bella rx-s4c 45-105. very cool sounding stainless steel strings. they feel stretchy but have a tight sound and strong bass, not floppy sounding at all. normally tuned to E or Eb but I've tuned down to C and it still sounds good.

Comment

Since Dean Markley Blue Steel Custom Lights (9-46) are now discontinued.... back to the original

sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

11 - 46. Boomers or EB Slinky or Fender. Whatever is cheapest online. I can't tell the difference between the three.
          8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Strings on guitar as opposed to bass don't make huge differences for me so I can get by with anything really. Its easier to point out strings I DON'T like. Anyway I recently used Daddario pure nickle strings. Reminds me of DR sunbeams. Vintage sounding essentially equates to 'sound broken in already' which is fine for my styles.
            Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
            My collection also there!

Comment

My standard string for most electrics is S.I.T. Powerwound 10-46 and my music tends to be '80s metal influenced.

They are very easy to play, stiff enough to hold up against a heavy right hand. I describe them as making a guitar seem "friendlier", especially if it is one you sometimes have to fight a bit. I realized this when I changed to S.I.T.s from previous NYXLs, which I consider to have an overly stiff and unnatural feel.
              '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
              '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
              '90 Charvel 475 XL
              '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
              Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
              Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
              Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post
                My standard string for most electrics is S.I.T. Powerwound 10-46 and my music tends to be '80s metal influenced.

They are very easy to play, stiff enough to hold up against a heavy right hand. I describe them as making a guitar seem "friendlier", especially if it is one you sometimes have to fight a bit. I realized this when I changed to S.I.T.s from previous NYXLs, which I consider to have an overly stiff and unnatural feel.
                was wholly unimpressed with the nyxl strings, especially compared to the standard d'addario nickel xl strings.

Comment

Working...
                X