Low or High action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low or High action?

Also, try going up to 10s instead of 9s to alleviate some of the string buzz. You'll probably find you get better tone with thicker strings, too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks toejam [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have tried 10's a few times and they just arent me. I realize your point, but I just dont feel comfortable playing 10's. gotta stick to 9's thanks for the input!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

No problem. I started out on 10s, went to 9s a couple times, but they always felt like spider webs and broke too easily. I did read somewhere one time where thinner strings also do buzz more (and I've experienced it, also), so that's why I'd suggest 10s. Within the last year I've actually starting using 11-48 on a couple guitars. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I can't use anything lower than 10-46.

Comment

"spider webs"... LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Like you ever played spider webs. Or are you SpiderMan?! [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I am Spiderman. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

11-49's. 10's or 10-52 with 25.5" scales. i find thin strings too flappy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                11-49's. 10's or 10-52 with 25.5" scales. i find thin strings too flappy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost sounds like you responded in the wrong thread. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Interesting topic.

I'm slowly evolving into higher actions myself. I play Soloists in part because it seems logical to use a light-handed playing technique on an ultimate-playability guitar (with ultra low action, no heel, etc.), but I have to admit that hearing some great players "fight" their guitars generally seems to add intensity and dynamics, improving their sound.

Comment

Fairly low but nowhere near as low as i used to go i started playing back in the 80's when ultra low action and light strings were all the rage for metal players.grew outta that like being able to get a good grip on the strings for bends and i hate it when you have to have a really light touch.

Comment

For me it depends what i'm playing. For shredding, low action is best, but not too low. for clean stuff, i raise the strings a bit to get a better tone and no fret buzz. i find too high action makes fretted notes go a bit out of tune, especially up the neck.

i don't have very strong hands, so i find higher action is more difficult for me.... even tho i do have a good left-hand technique from playing classical guitar for about 10 years.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I shred a lot but I have a bretty high action, better sound and that's the most important thing for me.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                        X