No announcement yet.

So what's the deal with PICKUP RINGS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So what\'s the deal with PICKUP RINGS?

It's not the pickups or body that vibrate to create the sound, it's the strings. The vibration of the strings interrupt the magnetic field of the pickup which creates the "sound". (That's about as simple as it can be stated, but it's a little more complicated than that) Anyway, the only reason different woods, body/neck combinations, bridges, nuts, etc., affect the tonal qualities of an electric guitar is because they affect the way the strings vibrate...not the pickups, the body, or the neck.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

pickups mounted with rings wobble too. GO ahead....try it.

Comment

anyone ever seen single-coils mounted with rings? (other than big ugly strat pickguards)

edit: oh and the gay teletubbycaster thingy at the bridge while we're at it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I have the HUGE Warpig Bare Knuckle humbucker. When I wanted to put it on, I had to cut the pickup ring, so that it would fit. I'd prefer to go naked, but I don't want to cut my new Jackson.

Comment

My pickups wobble but they don't fall down.

(am I dating myself?)

Comment

Chase - Is the pickup route in the body not big enough for the pickup? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Delt - Yeah, I've seen those stupid-looking single-coil rings like on old SGs. Man, what idiot came up with that, and what bigger idiot thought it looked cool enough to make more than one? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Teletubbycaster" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

And no, pickups don't wobble when playing due to the spring tension. On direct-mounted pickups, the spring goes between the flange and the wood, not on top of the flange like with a ring.
              If the possibility of wobbling disturbs you (or if you want the ULTIMATE in sustain and tonal accuracy from your direct mounted pickups), fill the cavity with epoxy and sink the pickup to the desired depth, then let it harden [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

PedalGeek - Yes, you're an old fart like the rest of us with your silly Weebles reference [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, the pickup is pretty much the same as the the route, so if I went bare, there would be no problems. But I don't want to drill any holes in my Snow White

Comment

They would be under the pickup, no one would see them. There would be holes where the pickup ring was though.

Comment

Would the guitar resale value decrease?

Comment

Not by drilling two screw holes underneath the pickup. Unless of course you went all the way through your guitar. Just mark how deep you want to go on your drill bit with masking tape, then when you get there...... stop.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        anyone ever seen single-coils mounted with rings? (other than big ugly strat pickguards)

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Yes. Both Carvin and Kramer did that in the '80s. Carvin's looked a little more gay because they were square around the ends instead of rounded.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If the pickups wobble, just put some foam underneath them. My Dinky HX with direct mount EMGs seemed to wobble a lot... even more so when they were moved closer to the strings. I just cut some of the extra foam out of the box the pickups came in and that solved the problem.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If the pickup is mounted by the ring or directly mounted makes difference.
                            Just like how guitar with pickguard and no pickguard would sound.
                            I think when it is directly mounted, it receives vibration of the body and that makes the pickup to have more sustain or trebly sound.
                            When it is mounted with pickguard or ring, it receives less from the body that makes to sound less treble and more warmer(less edge) sound.
                            IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X