Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: can some please help? pickups?

[ QUOTE ]
    you can always exchange it within 21 days for another Duncan. (Unless you buy it used)

[/ QUOTE ]
    DiMarzio gives you 30 days! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

APC 1.847.759.8200
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Oops, forgot about the APC Persuader Lead. That sucker better NOT sound like the EMG-81 or I will be PISSED and get on Dreamland_Rebel's case every time he "endorses" APC. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

hehhehheh!

its way way way better than an 81! more like a cleaner, passive 85 with more power, punch, sustain, and sesitivity. every note in any chord will ring out loud and clear. it makes me want to throw away all my EMG's Duncans and Dimarzios and replace them all with APC's. you can shape your sound by adjusting the pickup hight on each side. and once you find the ballance you like, you'll then have full tonal control with your amp. love em!
          Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            more like a cleaner, passive 85 with more power, punch, sustain, and sesitivity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sold. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm thinking of getting the Persuader SC (single coil Persuader) as well to put in my H/S/S config. I was a little weary of APC until I noticed the single coil sized humbucker. Sah-weeeeet.

But first I gotta learn how to solder and order me that Cold Heat soldering iron. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If I do end up getting the APCs, I think I'll be posting a huge thread dedicated to the new alliance towards APCs, having switched over from mostly EMGs, and SweetPete will be boasting that he told me so. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

how much do APC's run?

Comment

$70-$80 if I remember correctly about what SweetPete mentioned in a previous APC thread. The guy who does the APCs was the guy who designed the Lace Sensors, his name is Melvin Lace or something like that.

Comment

good luck getting them that cheap! but who knows, mel is a cool guy, you can probably talk him down that low. i don't reccommend the persauder lead custom. the PL doesn't need any more bass than its already got! but i guess they made it for those down tuners and nu-metal kids. i personally want to hear the PL with a Felony X in the front. (hell i wonder how a felony X would sound in the bridge, its supposed to be their PAF style pup)
                  Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Do you have other comparisons so we sort of have an idea of what each pickup sounds like in relation to other pickups? For example, you mentioned the Felony X is like a PAF, the Persuader Lead sounds like the EMG-85, the Persuader Lead Custom is a bassier EMG-85 (perhaps even Duncan Invader-ish?). I'm thinking of getting the Persuader SC single coils for my neck and middle positions and the Persuader Lead for the bridge. The neck and bridge pickups will be splittable with my megaswitch provided that the pickups are four-conductor in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

APC's can be coil tapped, as well as wired series or parrallel or series-parallel with a switch for selecting that between the 2. i have never tried any of the others. so i wouldn't know what to compare them to. all i know is that these pups are not made the same way as what we are used to. i can't even explain it good, just give Mel a call and ask him all about them. he'll be happy to tell ya anything you want to know about'em. they come with 4 conductor wires plus a shield. i don't reccommend the PLSC in the middle. i'd probably go, PLSC/200/PLHB. with a coil tap on both the PLSC and PLHB.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mmmm. Tight Bottom and Open Tops [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, get the Distortion. It's not "misleading" - it's a high-output pickup that will push a low-gain amp harder and has excellent bass, mids, and highs for both rhythm and leads.
                        DO NOT use it with a high gain amp like a Triple Rectumfrier or other such nonsense, as the Distortion pickups were designed to work with OLDER amps waaaaay before High-Gain amps and mods were widespread. For a high-gain amp, you would use a weaker pickup than a Distortion because it will only saturate the tone further, and sound like bees in a bottle.

And yes, you may have to actually adjust your EQ on your amp if the Distortion doesn't sound exactly like you want it to the first time you plug in. You may even have to raise or lower the pickup to fine tune the tonal response to your personal taste.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a stock older JCM 800, i do not like high gain amp such as the rectumfiers or the other high gainers.
                        I just really want to increase the JCM's drive a bit and add some extra sustain and have the tone as tight as possible,meaning that the rhythms are punchy with no sag and the lead tone is purcussive,searing and has clarity
                        the [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                        the pup i use now(duncan dimebucker) is not livin up to those demands [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

i've got a jcm 800 too! you're better off using an overdrive pedal on it, instead of relying solely on the pickup.

that said, nothing beats a duncan custom.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            i've got a jcm 800 too! you're better off using an overdrive pedal on it, instead of relying solely on the pickup.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]
                            maybe i could pull a lynch? DD and a sd-1 by boss? or a mxr wylde overdrive?
                            those two guys seem to use high output buckers and a pedal as well?
                            sully what makes the custom as good as many say it is?

Comment

Ohhh, never mind about the APC comparisons. I found Sunbane's translations from Swedish to English to get a better idea of the pickups.

Find it in this thread (click here).

Drooling now... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]
                                maybe i could pull a lynch? DD and a sd-1 by boss? or a mxr wylde overdrive?
                                those two guys seem to use high output buckers and a pedal as well?
                                sully what makes the custom as good as many say it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

george's pickups aren't high output, from what i've though. the customs aren't, either. what makes them so good, imo, is the overall clarity. you get all the gain you need, along with a nice balanced tone.

can't help ya much with amps and pedals b/c i'm really not an amp guy, but you may want to talk to a guy named pete here. his board name is twisteramps. he made me a pedal based on an sd1, but it sounds better to my ears.

sully
                                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X