Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning Dirty Frets.

[ QUOTE ]

The key is to polish in the same direction as the wood grain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this, but I found it difficult as I got way up to the high frets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If I JUST want to polish the frets, I think I will shield the fretboard (old credit card or masking tape) and go perpendicular to the wood grain on the frets themselves. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

The neck is rather yellow, could this be the maple aging? or is it the laquer's color? or the laquer aging?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]

The key is to polish in the same direction as the wood grain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this, but I found it difficult as I got way up to the high frets. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If I JUST want to polish the frets, I think I will shield the fretboard (old credit card or masking tape) and go perpendicular to the wood grain on the frets themselves. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're using steel wool or any abrasive, always go in the direction of the string path, not along the fret.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The neck is rather yellow, could this be the maple aging? or is it the laquer's color? or the laquer aging?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not lacquer - these have a poly finish. The "yellow" color is a tint in the poly. It will likely stay the same color for the rest of the guitar's life.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

those poly finishes are tough SOB's. THey are nearly indestructible unless you take a hammer to them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Lemon oil and a toothbrush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the 1A is a maple board with a poly finish, so lemon oil isn't going to do you any good.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Why? Lemon oil is a good cleaner... it should get the job done.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Its just not practical. Lemon oil is really greasy, It will just slide around on the finished neck, not like a rosewood fretboard where it would just soak in.

It would be much easier just to use soapy water.

Comment

Don't go too crazy on the soap and water. A moistened rag will do just fine - but make sure to dry it quickly.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

im not going to dunk it, just get the rag damn with the soapy water. Or maybe just water, unless I find that I need more muscle.

I dont have it yet, but I will get it tomorrow! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      im not going to dunk it, just get the rag damn with the soapy water. Or maybe just water, unless I find that I need more muscle.

I dont have it yet, but I will get it tomorrow! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try some spit. Seriously. And a rag.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                      X