Scale length ? question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scale length ? question

Almost all Jacksons have 25.5" scale length necks. I have pretty big hands, and I play on a 24.75" scale neck mostly. I suspect that as you get better at playing you will develope the skill to play up to the 24th fret. A lighter string gauge will help with bending, but you will have to do a set-up on your guitar or your bridge will pull down and you may very well get fret buzz.

Comment

The space between the frets is made smaller by larger fretwire. A 24 fret neck with smaller Gibson or Fender style fretwire will seem a bit more "roomy" than a 24 fret neck of the same scale with Jumbo or Extra Jumbo (eh?) frets.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I think it could be the locking nut on the Dinky XL that is making the strings harder to bend, as opposed to the vintage style non-locking tremolo on the Pacifica. When I unlocked the nuts it made it much easier to bend.

Comment

Could it be that when unlocked, the strings are sliding over the nut, allowing more "give" and providing a more buttery feel? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That eliminates the whole point of the locknut. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Could it be that when unlocked, the strings are sliding over the nut, allowing more "give" and providing a more buttery feel? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you laughing? It's true!
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It's BECAUSE it's true that I am laughing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now you've got the Floyd AND the nut providing "give", and throwing your guitar slightly out of tune every time you bend notes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I know it eliminates the point of the lock nut but I am trying to work out why the strat type guitar is easier to bend than my guitar.

Comment

Unless that Yamaha Pacifica has a short scale and/or lighter gauge strings (easy to bend), I have no other ideas. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Hmmmm, what else? Pickup magnet pull? Crusty strings/frets? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Unless that Yamaha Pacifica has a short scale and/or lighter gauge strings (easy to bend), I have no other ideas. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a vintage trem and no lock nut, the Pacifica will have a lighter feel than a guitar with a locking trem and nut. The total string length will be longer on the Pacifica because the strings do not stop at the nut and the anchor blocks in the trem.

When the guitar is played, the string is pulled and the tension will be lessened if there is more length in the string. So, the string nut to the tuner and from the saddle to the ball contributes to "slinky-ness" of the string.

Here's a trick that's big over at the Les Paul Forum - top wrapping the stop bar of a tune-o-matic bridge. Thread the string from the neck side of the stop bar, then wrap it over the bar on its way back to the bridge. Instant lighter feel. I've been doing this on my LP and SG for years.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Hmm, I thought only the speaking length of the string (from nut to saddles) was responsible for the tension. I lean something new every day! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X