Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are 3 piece necks superior?

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah i suspected gibson lp necks were one-piece because they all snap at the headstock (: (:

wasn't sure because all the lp's i've played on had solid-painted necks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The vast majority are one piece mahogony, except for the early 70's which were 3 piece mahogony and the mid 70's to early 80's which were 3 piece maple.

The reason necks snap at the headstock has less to do with the wood, and more to do with the grain at the point the angle changes. A non-tilt mahagony neck would have the same structural integrity as a maple neck. When you cut the wood to tilt back the head, you are cutting through the grain, leaving "open grain" at a major stress point. This is why Jacksons use scarf joints - no open grain.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Scarf joints are also often used by many companies out of economy. A scarf jointed neck uses less wood as it is a much thinner piece of wood than a one piece or even 3 piece with no scarf joint requires to make the angled headstock.

Comment

yeah, it,s a waste of wood to make the whole neck in 1 piece .... unless you somehow make 2 of them out of the same piece of wood, like this:

/
        | |
        | |
        | |
        /
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Grandturk-you explained what I meant in a more thorough fasion. If a normal Gibson neck was made from, say, 3 pieces of mahogany sandwiched together, the grain of at least one of those pieces wouldn't be weakest at that point. I'm guessing this is the reason so many high-end basses have the 3 or 5 piece laminated necks-because of the extraordinary amount of stress from 4, 5, or even 6 heavy strings on them. I also believe that is the reason acoustic guitars sometimes have that little diamond shaped thing on the back of the neck where it meets the headstock (I forget what it's called) to brace the weakest part of the wood.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I also believe that is the reason acoustic guitars sometimes have that little diamond shaped thing on the back of the neck where it meets the headstock (I forget what it's called) to brace the weakest part of the wood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it called a "volute"?

Comment

I think you can also make laminated necks thinner than one piece necks due to their reluctance to warp. All the one piece necks I have are quite thick. The worst is a one piece neck with no fretboard. I love maple fretboards, but I have one guitar which instead of placing a maple fretboard on a maple neck, the frets are layed right into the neck. Its something that looks real cool, and I guess it takes a pretty good luthier to do this, but the guitar doesnt have the same feel as a seperate fretboard guitar......

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-12-2008, 10:18 PM.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

You dug back 3 years to resurrect this thread for that gem of a question? Good job. LOL
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dude must be really, really bored...

(Like me...)
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                      If glue is stronger than wood, why not just make guitars out of glue then?
                      'Cause glue sounds like ass.
                      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                        If glue is stronger than wood, why not just make guitars out of glue then?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                          'Cause glue sounds like ass.
                          I like ass
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Me too! And titties! :ROTF:

Thanks to texasfury, good thread to reactivate

Comment

As long as it doesn't smell like ass.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

If it smells like cologne leave it alone!
                                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X