strings rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: strings rusting

Cases (at least mine!) are not air tight and they will NOT keep the humidity out. I've seen guitar strings and frets corrode faster in the case than if they're hanging on the wall with good air circulation. (Oh and BTW, yes, the weather does have a lot to do with it) Just lightly spray a rag with WD40 and wipe the strings down once a week or so. It's cheap and it WORKS!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I feel that the molded SKB Jackson cases are almost, if not completely, airtight. There's so much of that fuzzy stuff surrounding the guitar on both the lid and the bottom, and when I close the case, it takes WORK to snap the case latches shut because it's so tight-fitting. And if you sit in front of one of these cases when it's open and then let the lid fall down on its own, you can feel the rush of air being sandwiched out. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ehh, just my weird observations. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My other cases are not as nice as the SKB Jackson cases. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The cases may or may not be airtight, but if the strings are pressed up against the top of the case, creating an imprint on the fuzzy surface like many do, it's difficult for air to circulate up in there. I think it helps to keep strings from tarnishing, but wiping them down after playing is probably the most important thing to do. It also depends how much someone sweats as well. I think my one friend sweats battery acid cos once he plays my guitar I gotta replace the strings soon after no matter how well he washed his hands before! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Even if the case was air tight, the only way you'd get all the humidity out would be to pull a vacuum on it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Why do you suppose a lot of electric guitars are shipped with dessicant bags in the case? I guess until the "foodsaver" guys invent a "guitar saver" case then we'll have to stick with proper maintenance!

Comment

I would suggest you stop playing guitar in the shower.
            Seriously.. a dehumidifier will help. Wipe off the guitar when you are done playing and leave it in the case as much as possible when you aren't playing it.. of course.
            Lots of guitar shops spray a rag with a light coat of WD40 and go over the strings fast after an in store guitar is played. WD40 doesn't smell the greatest but your strings will never rust.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i use 9s and they seem to rust pretty fast, like after the second or first day i put em on. is there neway to prevent this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Dunlop Ultraglide 65. My strings do lose the shine, but the feel is smooth like the first day I restrunged the guitar.

Comment

I'm not totally saying that the case should be a vacuum. I do feel that it IS virtually airtight, thus it definitely helps to slow down corrosion since the only air attacking the strings and guitar is trapped within the case, and so I mentioned how it's a "buffer" rather than a true "barrier" to the elements. Better than nothing at all to me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Seriously.. a dehumidifier will help. Wipe off the guitar when you are done playing and leave it in the case as much as possible when you aren't playing it.. of course.
                  Lots of guitar shops spray a rag with a light coat of WD40 and go over the strings fast after an in store guitar is played. WD40 doesn't smell the greatest but your strings will never rust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm John, now why didn't I think of that??? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually used the WD40 trick for a year or so now to great effect. No more rusty strings here.

Comment

Working...
                    X