Guitars witn no Tone knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitars witn no Tone knob

I don't think its a hum or microphonics problem....no damage to the pickups...now there's just more high end & brightness that wasn't really that pronounced before. I'm getting more feedback that's hard to control if my hands aren't damping the strings. Its only at high volume on the high gain channel of the amp. In order to get it to go away I have to adjust the EQ on the amp. This sucks because all of my other live guitars are really consistent & sound good with the same amp settings......It is a pain to switch guitars & have to adjust the amp......I never had to do this before. I know it sounds crazy, but I have no other explanation but the now lack of a tone control.

Comment

Active circuits work the same way as passive circuits as far as the tone knob is concerned. As for your guitar being too "squealy" when you take your hands off the strings... don't take your hands off the strings. My high gain amps will run wild like a tiger cut from a leash if you take your hands off the strings. If it really bothers you, get a noise gate, or have an inline EQ pedal that you stomp on when you grab that guitar. Or wire in a tone pot, set it to where you want it, then just leave the whole potentiometer in the electronics cavity. You can trim off the shaft if you don't have enough room.

Comment

Do your other guitars have the same pickups? The JB is similar to the Distortion in design, and you do not use Distortion-class pickups with a high-gain amp, because Distortion-class pickups are designed to HELP over-drive a low to medium-gain amp into a higher gain stage.
        High-gain amps work best with medium-output pickups.

Or you could try replacing the volume knobs with 250K pots.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i'm thinking more like. replace the wiring with better wire and putting some shielding in the cavity. - hey what was that website that sells the good wire and copper shielding? great stuff!!!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            A tone knob, all the way up is actually just straight through with no effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Not really. A tone control in the equation seems to put a load on the sound and take away a tiny bit of high end than if there were only a volume control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, technically that is true, but some people just don't have the ear to notice the difference, even though there is a tiny variation.
            It's mostly unhearable, really. But Joe is completely right. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I came across some site that described No-load volumes and tone controls. Basically, it's like a normal one until you turn it full up, then there's a click and the entire potentimeter is lifted from the circuit. It sounds pretty cool!
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
              X