Fret Polishing and Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toothbrush and lemon oil are less abrasive. lol
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

If used properly,those 3 sided nail buffers that have something close to 2400/4000/12000 abrasives can produce an incredible finish on frets,but you still need to tape off the fretboard. Tommy D.
      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
        Toothbrush and lemon oil are less abrasive. lol
        This. All I've ever used is lemon oil and a toothbrush.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've never tried the fret erasers. I used to use 0000 steel wool and blue painters tape to protect the FB but that ended up pulling some of the finish off one of my Soloist. I eventually bought the fret guards by StewMac as an alternative to the tape before ditching the steel wool method altogether and trying Gorgomyte. That's what I've been sticking with since.

Comment

I've heard good things about Gorgomyte, just haven't gotten around to trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I've heard good things about Gorgomyte, just haven't gotten around to trying it.
              I use it. Be careful, it dries out really easy after you open it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I use it. Be careful, it dries out really easy after you open it.
                do you follow the directions and immediately cut the sheet into squares and store them in a ziploc bag? just curious because I bought a bag a few weeks ago and haven't opened it yet

Comment

Gorgomyte is essentially a rebranded Jude's Miracle Cloth with a "guitarists will pay a hefty surcharge if they believe it's a product just for guitarists" idiot tax attached to it. (Kind of like when Stewart-MacDonald expects us to pay a premium for some of their products, many of which have less expensive equivalents if you shop around.)

https://judesmiraclecloth.com/

I bought a Miracle Cloth many months ago but haven't gotten around to using it or opening it yet. I plan to use only a small square at a time, and keep the rest in a zipper lock bag.

For me, my fretboard/fret cleaning ritual is this. Serious gunk on a disgusting used guitar will require 0000-gauge steel wool to clean the caked-on gunk off the fretboard and frets. I don't want to play with someone else's gunk on my guitar. For ebony and rosewood fretboards, when the guitar has been cleaned this way just once, I seldom need the steel wool again in future cleanings, because I wash my hands before playing my guitars. Only skin oils may build up on the playing surface over time, for which lemon oil and a toothbrush is plenty; oil dissolves oil (like dissolves like) and is more than sufficient for cleaning MY secretions off MY fretboards. Maple fretboards won't get lemon oil; I'll lightly apply steel wool again if required.
                  Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Gorgomyte is essentially a rebranded Jude's Miracle Cloth with a "guitarists will pay a hefty surcharge if they believe it's a product just for guitarists" idiot tax attached to it. (Kind of like when Stewart-MacDonald expects us to pay a premium for some of their products, many of which have less expensive equivalents if you shop around.)

https://judesmiraclecloth.com/

I bought a Miracle Cloth many months ago but haven't gotten around to using it or opening it yet. I plan to use only a small square at a time, and keep the rest in a zipper lock bag.

For me, my fretboard/fret cleaning ritual is this. Serious gunk on a disgusting used guitar will require 0000-gauge steel wool to clean the caked-on gunk off the fretboard and frets. I don't want to play with someone else's gunk on my guitar. For ebony and rosewood fretboards, when the guitar has been cleaned this way just once, I seldom need the steel wool again in future cleanings, because I wash my hands before playing my guitars. Only skin oils may build up on the playing surface over time, for which lemon oil and a toothbrush is plenty; oil dissolves oil (like dissolves like) and is more than sufficient for cleaning MY secretions off MY fretboards. Maple fretboards won't get lemon oil; I'll lightly apply steel wool again if required.
                      Great info...And i thought i was the only one who washes my hands before i pick up a guitar.

Comment

Working...
                      X