No announcement yet.

Minwax Ebony Stain Pen on Rosewood Fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I was just testing the market...I wasn't going to sell it.
    My plan was, if there was any serious interest I'd remove it and say it was sold 'minutes' ago.
    Kinda' wasting people's time, but only for a few minutes/hours.

One trade offer after 120+ views.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Ebonizing process aside, don't put acetone on a fretboard with binding or plastic/acrylic based inlays; acetone will soften those materials.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        Ebonizing process aside, don't put acetone on a fretboard with binding or plastic/acrylic based inlays; acetone will soften those materials.
        Didn't even think about the side effects, thanks Sully! The binding and inlays don't react the same way to naphtha do they?

Comment

Since this post has came back around I should point out some things I've noticed.

The minwax is getting lighter with time, though it's very minimal.
          I took notice of this over the past few weeks, so, I started paying more attention.
          Sure enough, after a good 60-70 minute workout I regretfully admit there was a tiny smudge of stain on my fingertips. Someone pointed out in another thread that multiple coats won't stick well to the board, and it appears he was correct.

I wouldn't not do it again because it still looks sweet. The residue on my fingers was barely noticeable, but it was enough to notice. And, it seems to take some time to warm up and come off, because a 15-20 jam leaves no residue.

Anyway, I'll give the board a little rub with some fine steel wool before I apply the India ink and hopefully the ink will be permanent.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
          X