No announcement yet.

Soloist SL3 replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW in terms of quality, I don't see much difference (if any) in the FR Special compared to a good condition JT580LP. You should be able to find a cheap JT580LP in chrome or black on Ebay if you just want a replacement without spending more on an actual upgrade.
    The OFR is a far superior bridge to either of the other two, it has to be said.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
      I've replaced the chrome JT580LP bridge on my SL3 twice. Both times using FR Specials (Gold, then black). I think they are the same dimensions as an actual OFR?
      Yes, the Floyd Rose Special (made in Korea) has the same dimensions as the German OFR and Korean 1000-Series OFR. The differences lie in saddle material (zinc alloy instead of steel) and sustain block material (zinc alloy instead of brass).

The one thing is - the back plate won't go on any more as the block is longer than the JT580.
      There are sustain blocks of multiple lengths available. The typical ones are 32mm, 37mm, and 42mm, though I recently became aware of some odd lengths such as 40mm. Perhaps you need a shorter one if you wanted to reattach your trem cover backplate.
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-09-2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

The one thing is - the back plate won't go on any more as the block is longer than the JT580.
        Sounds like you put in a Floyd with a 37mm block. Pretty much every recess mounted JT-580LP I've come across has a 32mm block.
        -Rick

Comment

I suppose so - I just bought the one I thought would fit. I have no problem leaving the back off although I normally prefer it to be on. I have to say the FR Special on my SDX works REALLY well, and I haven't even locked it at the headstock.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's an '03 that I bought in , I believe, 2015 from Sam Ash. Too much, something like $600 incl S&H and the hardshell. The finish was chipped and there's the rust I mentioned too.... None of this was disclosed in the sales ad or by the salesman. It was supposed to have a minor cosmetic blemish.. When I got it it had two deep chunks out of the finish all the way down to the wood and one that had been 'repaired' with nail polish but was clearly deep as well. Also, the one strap button had the original screw replaced with some coarse threaded wood screw that was rusty as hell... So yeah, I got taken on this one.... BUT I got my first Soloist so figured I'd make lemonade and have been working to refinish it and replace the hardware and electronics. Luckily the neck is good and undamaged and the cosmetic stuff can be repaired... So ... Just kind of a piss off that I've had this guitar for 2+ years now and I have yet to play it! ;(
            Last edited by Weatherby; 09-09-2016, 03:45 PM.
            Some of my Guitars:
            1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
            2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
            3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S
            4) 2003 Jackson Soloist SL3 was trans red. WIP refinish.
            5) 2006 Jackson Dinky DXMG. Gray, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. OE EMG H/H

Comment

Originally posted by Weatherby View Post
              It's an '03 that I bought in , I believe, 2015 from Sam Ash.... Just kind of a piss off that I've had this guitar for 2+ years now and I have yet to play it! ;(
              So you got it in 2015 and have had it for more than two years? What's it like in the future? Tell me about your time travels.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sam Ash would've been gettin' that back if I'd have received it. Was there no return policy?
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  So you got it in 2015 and have had it for more than two years? What's it like in the future? Tell me about your time travels.
                  Hmm, YEah, sorry about that... I was a bit distracted while typing that.

The invoice from Sam ASh was 2/8/2015.
                  Some of my Guitars:
                  1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
                  2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
                  3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S

Comment

Well, yeah I thought about it. I really did. I noticed the chips in the finish right away as well as the rust, (and lack of trem bar), but it wsn't right away that I noticed the bridge issues. When I decided to tune it to correct tuning, that's when the bridge stood up like / ... Which I thought was an issue with the springs as there was only 3, so I figured I'd put 4. This kept the trem flat, but that's when I noticed that the mounting posts pulled straight out of the body....

At this point I was po'd ... but at this point I'd waited over 20 years to own a Soloist, and made the decision to refurbish it instead of pawning it off on someone else and or having it trashed all together. Kind of a rescue mission I guess... I probably should have returned it... but ... I didn't... so now I'm committed to restoring it to a playable condition.

I'm hoping that as I've read that the posts for an OFR will be slightly larger than those for the JT-580LP which will be just what the doctor ordered since the holes I have now are too large........ Hey... Now that I think of it, wonder if the previous owner tried to mount a OFR and that the holes are sized for that instead of the JT.... Hmmm... there's a thought....
                    Some of my Guitars:

Comment

Hope you get it up and running soon.
                      Would also love to see pics of your G&L Legacy. I got one of those a few months ago and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Hope you get it up and running soon.
                        Would also love to see pics of your G&L Legacy. I got one of those a few months ago and love it.
                        Thanks!

The G&L? That I can manage!

Here's a closeup of the color in the sunlight. It's candy red with a gold metallic base coat, (as I understand it), hence the reason for the gold 'flakes' that can be seen in person and sorta seen in this shot:

Here's a WIP shot of the SL3's new color... It's chromaflair so might be hard to pickup from this shot with the overspray etc. (at the time of the shot I'd just finished another color coat and had yet to sand it)

Last edited by Weatherby; 09-11-2016, 12:26 PM.
                        Some of my Guitars:

Comment

I've also had a guitar with the JT-580POS that had the posts coming out of their holes. In my case it was an RR-X. The cheapest and easiest fix is to take the bushings out, smear super glue on the walls of the holes, let that dry and then press the bushings back in. Super glue is so thin that it will soak into the wood, and it should be just enough to keep the bushings fixed in the guitar.

If you decide to switch to an OFR (which will be a great improvement), don't force the larger bushings into the guitar. If you are unlucky you could cause the body wood to split, and that would be a P.I.T.A to repair. Ream the holes out to the proper diameter before you press the new bushings in.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Weatherby View Post
                            Thanks!

The G&L? That I can manage!

Here's a closeup of the color in the sunlight. It's candy red with a gold metallic base coat, (as I understand it), hence the reason for the gold 'flakes' that can be seen in person and sorta seen in this shot:

Here's a WIP shot of the SL3's new color... It's chromaflair so might be hard to pickup from this shot with the overspray etc. (at the time of the shot I'd just finished another color coat and had yet to sand it)

Very cool! Love the new SL3 color.

The G&L is pretty sweet, too. I'm a big fan, especially since Leo Fender finally got a non-locking trem pretty much perfect.

Comment

Working...
                            X