Seymour Duncan Bridge Pickup Shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
    There is another video of a guy playing a comparison between the different "Custom" pickups. This is softer music, and unfortunately the sound is so mid-heavy that it's a bit hard to tell the pickups apart soundwise - but the difference is there.

https://youtu.be/kLfRvjjAwf0

Fuck, I want those inlays!!!
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
      Fuck, I want those inlays!!!
      It is a pretty cool looking guitar! It's the Paul Allender sig PRS SE model (Cradle of Filth). https://therockblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/prs.jpg
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just scrolled/skimmed through the comments on the Youtube video, and not ONE single person commented on the mislabeling of the Custom and Custom 5. Either nobody picked up on it and we're damn good, or we're imagining things. However, I'm apt to believe toejam's assessment that it's a Custom 5 and Custom Custom, based on the written descriptions of these pickups on the Seymour Duncan website.

Based on this, I suppose I like the Custom 5 and Dimebucker in this experiment.

It would have been nice if the comparison also included the real Custom so that all three could be compared in that context.

Comment

I had a 7-string Custom in an old Schecter 007 which was awesome. I had 6-string versions of the Custom 5 in my '05 Charvel alder Star and in my '95 Hamer Special FM (mahogany body/thick maple top) and thought they were too scooped in the mids for my tastes. It worked better in the Hamer, but I still wasn't crazy about it.

I've never tried the Dimebucker, but I do have one laying around that I got in a trade. I've never put it in anything, but my Kramer Explorer needs to be put back together with some new pickups. Maybe I'll try that with a covered JB in the neck that's also just laying around. I normally don't care for the JB, but it might be cool in the neck.

Comment

However, when I get back and look at the Duncan site, the SH-5 Custom and the SH-13 Dimebucker have almost identical EQ-meters. And the SH-14 Custom-5 has an even shorter bar for mids than both of them. So it might be that we actually heard the SH-5 in the demo, and that the SH-14 wasn't in it.

Then again, the website is full of errors and omissions. The bridge version of the Nazgul for example, is listed in the various data sheets with a DCR of anything between 13.6 Ohm (which would put it in SH-5 territory, output-wise) and 16.7 Ohm, which is right up there with the SH-6 Distorion and the Invader.
            Last edited by Sunbane; 07-28-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

The site does indeed have some errors, and I think the EQ meters are approximates. The '59 and the Custom 5 have the same EQ, but they do sound different because they're made with different gauge wire and the C5 has higher output.
              The Nazgul literature used to say it was extremely aggressive and made it seem like it was even more extreme than the Invader. It is high output, but not completely over the top like they suggested.
              And the Black Winter EQ used to be all even and say bass mids and treble were 666, now it shows it as more mids, less treble and even less bass.

Comment

What a fustercluck! :think:

Comment

Haha... I wanted to say that over the course of the past few weeks casually browsing the Seymour Duncan website, I noticed grammar and punctuation errors on some of the product descriptions, as if they were not proofread before publishing. However, I can't find them now, exactly the moment when we're tearing apart the company's errors.

Here's the previous old comparison experiment: http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparison-audio

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 07-28-2016, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    Here's the previous old comparison experiment: http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparison-audio
                    Whoa, I missed this completely! This vid is even better in that it gives you an idea of the differences in output between the pickups. Again, I think the "Custom" and the Dimebucker sound similar, except that the Dimebucker has way more output.

Comment

I love that video. I studied it over and over.

What amp is dude using on this huge shootout? It sounds very nice. Killer Riff I might add. Very creative and aggressive yet very well played. Great job to the dude who Rocked that and Wrote it.
                      I really like the JB , SH-5, Distortion and the Black Winter. Some of them sounded like tiny variations of others but the Black Winter really hit home for me. I own the JB and Distortion which I love both of them for what they do. The Distortion I think I like a bit more but it really depends on my mood.

Comment

All that and they didn't even include the best pickup Seymour Duncan makes ? The Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion PATB-2B, Ceramic, DCR: 21.2, perfectly balanced. As someone who absolutely hates most all Seymour Duncan pickups, the PATB-2B is the one, my absolute favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                          All that and they didn't even include the best pickup Seymour Duncan makes ? The Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion PATB-2B, Ceramic, DCR: 21.2, perfectly balanced. As someone who absolutely hates most all Seymour Duncan pickups, the PATB-2B is the one, my absolute favorite.
                          I put one of those in my old RR1T. It really was great, balanced nicely with the Jazz neck.

Comment

Working...
                          X